Cat crying and hungry 24/7

kalikuvaz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'll start by giving you some background. I have eight cats at this moment and it can be kind of stressful. Although, I've had worse. I have six kittens, their mom and their grandma. And I'm having trouble with the mother of the kittens, Skittles. She's probably around ten months old and her kittens are three months old. Since she's given birth, she's been eating savagely. She cries without end and it's because she's hungry. We tried feeding her whenever she's hungry and it seemed to make her even more hungry. Yet, she refuses to eat dry food, only canned. She's to the point were she eats what we give her, what we give her mother, and what we give her babies. And she'll still try to steal food from the counter. It's getting to the point where we're using up four cans of cat food just on her. We tried to get her to eat dried food because it's more filling, from what I understand, and she refuses to eat it. I'm at a loss of what to do and begging for help.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor baby is very young to be raising a litter, hope you will be getting everyone spayed/neutered very soon.

It takes a lot to be pregnant and raise kittens, especially when she's still a growing kitten herself, she needs to eat whenever she wants and how ever much she wants. Once the babies are fully weaned and she's spayed the appetite should calm down.

Has she seen a vet? Worms can cause excessive hunger, or she could have another illness.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you giving her kitten food? At that age plus being a new mother she needs to eat kitten food...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kalikuvaz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She is very young. We were quite surprised when we found out she was pregnant. We haven't been able to go to the vet yet but we will as soon as we can. I'm not sure what you mean by kitten food. We give her a bowl of dried cereal-like food and, it use to be a serving of canned food but it has escalated to four.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are actually kitten formulas in both wet and dry food. They have more calories than "cat" food.

silva_unt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
By kitten food, kitten formula in wet/dry. A can of kitten food will advise, for example on an Authority can of kitten food: "Per day, 31-52wks of age, feed about 1/2 can per pound of body weight" Im not sure about being a mother as well so I'm sure someone will advise further on that.

kalikuvaz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm going to try feeding her that, thanks.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Being a kitten herself, and raising a litter, she should be eating as much kitten food as she wants, whenever she wants.... The poor thing is hungry...

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She really NEEDS to go to the vet to be checked out and spayed. She will need to have a fecal test to test for worms as well as ensure she's in good overall health and there's nothing else contributing to her hunger. After that, I second what all the others have said since she's a kitten herself, kitten food, however much she wants when she wants it. You might try leaving dry out all the time just to see if she might eat some between feedings of canned.

althekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Gosh poor thing only a kitten herself. Kittens can eat quite a lot anyway as they use up so much energy too, adding being a new nursing mother to that, no wonder she is starving. She really should be checked out by a vet and I do hope that they all get neutered too, thats so young to be a mum. I would leave dry food out too, she might eat it if she is hungry and if that is what is on offer. What dry are you trying to feed? The kitens should be looked over too as worms and ear mites etc are common in kittens.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Even though they don't have a kitten formula, if she doesn't go for dry, you might try Taste of the Wild cat food, a lot of finicky cats seem to go for it. Get some sample sizes of some good quality dry cat/kitten food to see if there's something she goes for. Some cats just don't like a certain flavor, or a certain texture, so it's good to try different flavors and also different foods have different size kibbles and textures.

kalikuvaz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you everyone. I'm trying everyone's suggestions. The dried food doesn't seem to be working. We've tried other brands as well. Tomorrow, we're taking her to the vet.

It has just occurred to me that maybe Skittles is upset. We had two dogs and they were taken away [illegally] from us. Even though they use to, literally, tease her, it could be she's depressed because of their absence?

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kalikuvaz

Thank you everyone. I'm trying everyone's suggestions. The dried food doesn't seem to be working. We've tried other brands as well. Tomorrow, we're taking her to the vet.

It has just occurred to me that maybe Skittles is upset. We had two dogs and they were taken away [illegally] from us. Even though they use to, literally, tease her, it could be she's depressed because of their absence?
Don't think so....

madara

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow this thread nearly has me in tears. Am I reading this right, it not strays your caring for but cats that have not recieved proper care like being spayed or neutered. Sounds like an Octo mom story.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kalikuvaz

Sending prayes and vibes that Skittle's vet check gets you some greatly desired answers

I know that during these hard times, it is very expensive to feed a nursing queen, but a good quality cat food often goes a long way farther than a food with grain fillers. Skittles, being a cat, is able to discern much about her food thru scent alone and is the best judge of what her body needs. Bless you for giving Skittles and her little family a loving home

Please let us know how the vet visit goes

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Momma kitty isn't spayed yet? She had kittens at 5-6 months old?
First of all, you need to understand that this is so wrong.......You can't allow a young female to stray outdoors especially if she is not spayed. Second you need to have all the cats thoroughly examined and vaccinated before you bring in a deadly disease to your home and they suffer even more.
It is normal for cats to go into heat shortly after giving birth, excessive meowing and appetite are normal symptoms. Please find a way to provide humane care for them as soon as possible, otherwise you will be putting many lives in despair....

kalikuvaz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The day before we brought her to the vet she was having severe diarrhea. The vet did several tests and she is completely healthy. What ever she had before that wasn't making her feel well has passed. She had her shots already and now she is neutered. She seems happy now and only cries when she want to be pet [I spoil her
] . Her hunger has subsided, as well. I would also like to say that my cats have always been well taken care of. We failed to neuter her for two reasons. One: we had NO money due to the fact my sister just got married. and we paid for the wedding. Two: We, foolishly, thought she was too young to have children. Both, her and her mother have all their shots and neutered. Her kittens are well fed and taken care of and we are giving them away to good homes. I resent people thinking we don't take care of our pets but I digress.

I'd like to thank all of you for your wonderful advice and support. She and her babies are doing fine, now. Thanks to you guys.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Please don't feel badly - we are all concerned for the welfare of animals and sometimes can state our opinions a bit too bluntly.

Kudos to you for coming here for advice and working quickly to get her to the vet. She is a young mommy, so kitten formula food will be very good for her.

Good luck finding everyone homes. You're doing your best and that's what counts!