Cat crouching and hiding, not eating after long bout of medications

mrfairy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is female, spayed, 4 years old. The horrors began a few months ago when I noticed a lump in her mouth which wouldn't go away despite being on steroids for a week or so. Concurrently, she also had ringworm, and she was on itraconazole for 2 months. They also gave her an antibiotic shot as some of the ringworm wounds looked inflamed, hence to prevent secondary infection.

Because the lump wouldn't subside entirely she underwent a biopsy where they removed and lab tested it. Results came back indicating that it appeared due to chronic irritation. The lump then grew back again so she was put on another round of steroids and antibiotics, which seemed to finally resolve the issue.

Then, she caught giardia from a new cat I adopted and her ringworm returned. Her giardia symptoms were severe-- throwing up everything she ate, diarrhea. It was a miracle she could keep the medicine, Metronidazole, down, which is yet another antibiotic.

Halfway through the metronidazole, she returned back to her normal happy, affectionate self. But 2 days after the final dose (today) she began hiding, not moving or eating again. However, when we force feed her and syringe water into her mouth she doesn't refuse or puke it out, unlike the time she had giardia.

I am going to observe her more tmr if her condition improves before I decide to bring her to the vet AGAIN. I'm just hoping that she's weak due to so much medicine over the course of months and I just have to ensure there's nutrients in her body so she can regain strength. I'm reluctant to bring her back to the vet because she's been on so much drugs it's taxing on her organs :(

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I would have said it was just an 'after effect' from all the meds she has had to endure, but what makes it worrisome is that she returned to her normal self and then relapsed. The hiding is usually indicative of not feeling well, and her letting you syringe feed her so easily could be from the same thing. Thank god she isn't throwing up - so that is good. Maybe you can try some of the foods in this TCS article (link below) to see if you can 'jump start' her eating again?

It is possible her tummy is just so 'aggravated' that she isn't interested in eating right now, but it just seems weird that she must have been eating OK a couple/few days ago?

Can you tell if it might be related to the lump in her mouth coming back?

How To Get Your Cat To Start Eating Again – TheCatSite Articles

Hope other members come along soon to offer better ideas for you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrfairy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the response! Regards to being compliant during syringe feeding, she isn't exactly 'weak' as she's able to jump and hide inside the cat tree/other high areas of the house, and she does struggle while being held down to be fed, but isn't refusing the food/water as compared to during when she had giardia and wasn't diagnosed yet. I think back then her digestive system was just sooooo messed up and uncomfy it made her adverse to the thought of even consuming anything.

As for the lump, it never impaired her appetite or seemed to cause her any pain. When it was at its worst and swelling terribly she was still eating a lot! Fortunately the lump has gone away now.

Yes the being okay and suddenly not again part is what puzzles me the most. I can only think that it could be because she's on fungal meds again due to the ringworm making a comeback so perhaps that accumulation is causing it?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yes the being okay and suddenly not again part is what puzzles me the most. I can only think that it could be because she's on fungal meds again due to the ringworm making a comeback so perhaps that accumulation is causing it?
When were the fungal meds restarted? If near the end of the metronidazole, that might just be it. Ringworm can be hard to eradicate, and I have heard where topicals are used in tandem with oral meds to help. Maybe ask your vet about that? And, let your vet know she is showing signs of a lack of appetite. He could either lower the dose of the fungal meds (and add a topical), or perhaps prescribe an appetite stimulant?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrfairy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, I think that might be the case, thanks for shedding light on this! Currently I am also bathing her twice weekly with medicated shampoo. I am also disinfecting my house with F10 once a week.