Cat Cries When I Pick Her Up

princess7807

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've noticed lately that when I hold my cat, Lily, she starts meowing a lot and gets really mad. She's never exactly loved being picked up/cuddled, but didn't start doing this until fairly recently. I'm really worried that she's sick or something. What might be causing this? Is it an emergency? I just lost my job and can't afford to take her to the vet right now. I don't know what to do! She's 11 years old (12 in june) by the way. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I am sorry this is happening to your baby. There are so many possibilities, that it would be hard to know for sure without some tests being run. Does Lily have a history of any health issues, particularly more recent ones?

The title to your thread doesn't match what you are describing, so can you be a bit more specific? You say she cries when being picked up, but then you go on to say that she begins to meow and get mad when you are holding her. Sorry, if I am misunderstanding. Is she meowing and getting mad at the very moment she is being picked up, or after you have picked her up and are holding her? Are you doing anything else with her, like petting her?

Also, anything else unusual going on with her? She is 11, so she is at the age that she is more likely to start to demonstrate health issues (just like humans as they age). If she is meowing and getting mad while being picked up, could be something like arthritis.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

princess7807

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. I am sorry this is happening to your baby. There are so many possibilities, that it would be hard to know for sure without some tests being run. Does Lily have a history of any health issues, particularly more recent ones?

The title to your thread doesn't match what you are describing, so can you be a bit more specific? You say she cries when being picked up, but then you go on to say that she begins to meow and get mad when you are holding her. Sorry, if I am misunderstanding. Is she meowing and getting mad at the very moment she is being picked up, or after you have picked her up and are holding her? Are you doing anything else with her, like petting her?

Also, anything else unusual going on with her? She is 11, so she is at the age that she is more likely to start to demonstrate health issues (just like humans as they age). If she is meowing and getting mad while being picked up, could be something like arthritis.
She has had a few UTIs in the past, but the last one was a few years ago.

Sorry, I probably should have worded the title differently. When she is being held (not when she's picked up, just when I'm holding her), she starts doing this sort of whiny meow (more angry, not really crying). I'm just holding her normally, nothing else. She doesn't do this when she's sitting on my lap or if I'm just petting her.

I haven't noticed anything strange lately. She's eating and drinking normally, and is quite active, maybe even more so than usual.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks for the clarification!! So, it sounds like the being picked up and held is the issue - like as if in not her 'choice'. Would that be a good way to explain it? I do think cats can become a bit pickier as they age. But, if when she is sitting on your lap, did she choose that herself, or if you placed her there she just may be more comfortable when she is on your lap as opposed to being held?

Still sounds like possible arthritis, just by virtue of the fact that it would seem the holding part is what she is not impressed with. I wouldn't go out my way to have her x-rayed ASAP, but considering her age, she should be having at least an annual full senior check up, including a senior blood panel; so, you could ask about getting an x-ray added to the process just to see if arthritis shows up.

There are also products you can buy to help with basic arthritis issues. I am currently using Glyco Flex Plus for Feeby (14+ yo) because of arthritis. It is not expensive. And, she responded very well after being on it for a very short period of time. There are other non-prescription type treatments for arthritis as well.

Also, Feeby went for years without a UTI and then started having them again last year. She doesn't present in the typical fashion with them, so it is hard to tell she has one. To reduce costs, if you can catch any clean urine in a sterile container, a vet will typically accept that for testing - both urinalysis and urine culture. You can also buy cat urine strips (would also need to obtain clean urine) to see if she might have one again.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are many possibilities but remember that when cats visibly show their pain or discomfort, it is bad. They don't typically show that there is anything wrong until the problem is advanced or ongoing. I would do everything you can to get this cat in for a check and ideally bloodwork and a urinalysis, especially getting into her senior years.