Cat Cries All Night When Roommate Is Gone

Fionn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, my roommate has an indoor cat who just screams at the top of his lungs all night when his owner is gone. They only leave when they absolutely have to because of this, but they're going again over the weekend and cannot afford boarding. Obviously I'm making sure he has food and water. It doesn't seem to stem from boredom or lack of affection, the last time they were gone he did this the first night so I spent every single minute of the following day with him. Petted him, played with him, napped with him literally all day and it had no effect. It seems like he's just super stuck on his owner which seems odd because they don't even interact that much, he kind of keeps to himself. I'm not sure how to react when he screams or how I might prevent it. Over the nights I tried sleeping in their room with him, ignoring him in hopes he'd stop, holding him in hopes he'd calm, playing with him to wear him out, locking him in a different room than where he goes to scream, giving him calming supplements. Nothing worked. Any suggestions?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If they have any "wand" toys for him, you might try playing HARD with him, really wearing him out, right before bed time. Get him panting before you stop. Frankly, I don't know if that would do the trick, but it is all that comes to mind right at this moment.

This might give you some more insight and some directions to go:

Separation Anxiety In Cats
Six Surefire Strategies To Reduce Stress In Cats

Thank you for your caring and patience towards a cat that isn't even your own.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
He sounds like a very vocal cat. There is probably nothing that is going to shut him up except his owner returning so earplugs or headphones might be your only option.

BeAtCause

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This cat needs to see a veterinarian. Anxiety is a possibility and it can be treated with medicine. There is such a thing as kitty prozac. I also just read on google that a cat howling may be developing a uti or other health problem. Good idea to check the cats health out as well.

Also found on google:

Cat Anxiety Vest | Shop Cat Anxiety Treatments | ThunderShirt
This is for a cat anxiety vest. Calms the cats anxiety to feel the pressure of the thundershirt.

I really think the vet could listen to the owner and advise her the best. It really should be addressed for both your comfort and the cats comfort as well. Maybe even adding a new kitten to the room would help.

Last edited by a moderator:

BeAtCause

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh I forgot to mention. A cat with hypothyroidism with do this. My mom had a cat with hypothyroidsim and nothing could calm her. She needed medicine. Definitely take him to the vet to rule out hypothyroidism, uti, or diabetes.

Last edited by a moderator: