Cat coughed after medicine

Scaredpersianowner

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello,
Sorry to post so often. I am so scared every time my cat does something weird.
My cat gets lactulose twice a day (we are hoping to switch her to Miralax as she is just starting to eat wet food). Sometimes when I give her the medicine in her mouth she coughs. I try my best to give her small amounts but she has a very tiny face (she is a persian). I know it is possible to get medicine in the lungs if given incorrectly.

Today she coughed a couple of times after giving her a small amount. I always panic when this happens (she does this from time to time). Has anyone ever experienced medicine going in the lungs? Are there any signs I should keep an eye for?
She coughed some small coughs for about 1 minute and stopped and is acting/breathing fine now.
Thank you for any advice!

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. When giving the medication, always go in from the side of the mouth and go very slowly. It doesn’t have to be given all at once. You can give a tiny bit and wait 30 min and give a little more.

it is very possible for a cat to aspirate on medication. I have seen it happen. Due to their anatomy it is more prevalent in brachial cephalic breeds such as Persians.

I would mention the coughing to your vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Scaredpersianowner

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. When giving the medication, always go in from the side of the mouth and go very slowly. It doesn’t have to be given all at once. You can give a tiny bit and wait 30 min and give a little more.

it is very possible for a cat to aspirate on medication. I have seen it happen. Due to their anatomy it is more prevalent in brachial cephalic breeds such as Persians.

I would mention the coughing to your vet.
Thank you! I did mention it to the vet and she said the same thing, to give from the side (which I do). I will try to go even slower. I usually split 1 ml in 3 when giving it to her, but yesterday the syringe got stuck and I ended up giving about half the ml. She is acting fine though. Any symptoms I should be on the lookout for?

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Signs of aspiration would be changes in her breathing pattern. Difficulty breathing. Discharge from the nose, usually watery. Open mouth breathing of course is always an emergency.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Scaredpersianowner

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Signs of aspiration would be changes in her breathing pattern. Difficulty breathing. Discharge from the nose, usually watery. Open mouth breathing of course is always an emergency.
Thank you! She is a Persian flat face so she always has a runny nose but she is breathing at a normal rate and eating. Will continue watching her. Thank you so much!