Cat Cough

Nouveau

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So my 10mos old little boy has had a weird cough since I got him as a kitten. It didn’t start until about 6mos old. It has gradually happened less often as I’ve gotten rid of scented plugins, changed to soy wax candles and changed to natural cleaning products.

What he does is he’ll like press his chest to the ground and cough, almost rubbing his throat on the ground. It’s kinda raspy sounding and only lasts for less than 30 seconds then he’s back to himself. It may happen once a month and I haven’t been able to determine a trigger. I’ve mentioned to the vet but haven’t been able to catch it on video. The vet (who has seen him since 5wks) isn’t too concerned since it’s decreased in occurrence.

But does this type of cough sound familiar to anyone?

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As he has been to the vet im guessing he has been treated for parasites? There are parasites, even the common round worm has a life stage cycle that can affect the lungs. So if not treated for parasites i would do that regular, at least for now.

Its good that you did the household changes. I have an asthma cat and that makes a big different for him. I no longer use any air spray, plugins or candles as even the natural ones seem to bother him. Basically anything that puts chemicals or fragrance in the air. Also litter. He cannot use any clay litter without hacking. So i have switched to a grass litter, my favorite is abound that i pick up at Kroger, but there are several out now. I also like Litter maid walnut clumping litter that i get from walmart. If you use a scented, or clay litter it might be worth changing.

could also be a hair ball problem? I try to do a good brush on my guys several times a week. and your guy looks like a pretty fluff :)