Cat conjunctivitis, please help me figure this out!

ilovemyvoidboi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat has conjunctivitis, completely healthy otherwise according to the vet. Still eating normally too. Started eyedrops and his eye is already improving but now it’s in the other eye so I’ve started doing drops in that one too. At first he was really good getting his drops, now it has turned into quite a struggle. I’ve started noticing a bit of a personality change? He is sleeping a bit more than usual & he doesn’t seem as happy, not purring as often or as loud. Is the extra sleep due to him feeling funky because of the conjunctivitis? Could the personality changes be from stress over hating and struggling getting his eye drops three times a day? I’ve tried googling, but all that comes up is the conjunctivitis symptoms of the eye, not how it affects the rest of them. Thank you in advance from a concerned cat mom who just wants her baby to be healthy again

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First of all, do you have drops or salve? The salve is really easier to administer than the drops. With drops, I can see why the struggle, dropping something directly into the eye. You might, if at all possible, get them into the side of the eye, right at the corner where the eyelids join. It is much less traumatizing than seeing something coming at your eye. It may be also easier to hold the head down on its side too. It is usually a virus that causes this, so he will seem a little lethargic, not play as much and even eat a little less. Watch for changes that it is becoming a secondary bacterial infection, that can be helped with antibiotics. Signs are increased secretions, yellow/green/white discharge, and holding eyes closed because the light bothers them.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
. Started eyedrops and his eye is already improving but now it’s in the other eye so I’ve started doing drops in that one too.
Did you contact the vet to let them know and give them an update? If not I would encourage you to do this that way if his symptoms change or worsen they can address it accordingly.

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
Just like when humans don't feel well, we change how we act, cats do as well.
Cats also don't understand why they don't feel well, or why something different is happening to them (eye drops) on top of not feeling well.
I'd suggest using treats immediately after the eye drops to make it a less stressful ordeal.