Cat Conflict at Home: Helping Cats Get Along

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have had Cheetah 14 years. I have had Omypaw 3 years. They were slowly introduced over a span of about 3 to 4 months.
Cheetah is about 7lbs with health issues snd Omypaw is a robust 12 lbs. Omypaw is about 3 to 4 years old. He was a stray. Friendly and outgoing. No fear of anything. Extremely territorial if he sees a cat out side.

Cheetah was many generations feral, living in the mountains. Trapped down a dried up well for 3 days before I got her 14 years ago. She was 4 months old at the time. Cheetah is happy and friendly with me and my significant other, but if someone comes over, you won’t see her. If I walk by her when she is eating, she bolts. This is just her. She is a fearful reactive cat. Although considering how feral she was, she is great.

Two totally opposite cats. Omypaw started chasing Cheetah, and Cheetah started hiding. In Omypaws defense, he thought she is the best squeaky toy ever. Cheetah get terrified and runs for her life. Distracting Omypaw with a toy was working well, but it’s hard to always be ready to distract and it does nothing for Cheetah’s confidence.

I started playing Cat TV for them on my laptop. It took a while for me to find some they liked. I have to turn the laptop upside down so they don’t step in the keys.

This has caused Cheetah to have much more confidence and Omypaw to realize he can exist without chasing her. They now can be very close to each other without any problems. Omypaw did push the envelope a bit yesterday when he saw her watching and came up to say hi with a sniff and she swatted, just once, claws in and went right back to watching the screen. He respectfully walked around to the other side and watched.

I have always known it was a good thing to have cats play together, but this is working even better. It’s not really Omypaw, but Cheetahs behavior that has changed with more confidence and Omypaw just reacts to that.
70BDBCD2-27C3-417E-9E8D-369A4A1BEC2A.jpeg

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is absolutely fantastic! I love Omypaws little name. This just goes to show that with consistsnt persistent work, it can definitely be done.. it just takes time, patience, and a lot of love. Thanks to you these two are doing a lot better. Thank you S silent meowlook for sharing your journey getting them to coexist with increasing Cheetahs confidence. That was the key to getting Omypaw to stop seeing her as the best kind of squeak toy.. this really makes me so happy reading their story and how well it has progressed.

S silent meowlook again thank you for sharing. I absolutely love it!!!!

YAY GO CHEETAH and OMYPAW

OUTCOMES LIKE THESE ARE POSSIBLE. When you put in the work it really pays off in the greatest way. ❤ ❤ 😺 😺

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank you so much for the kind words.

The play/hunt drive in cats is so strong. I think it is very important to make sure indoor cats stay happy by giving them opportunities to be cats.

I was just so shocked that this worked so well.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I often times find myself thinking about a cat and how they play so rough as if hunting for their actual prey.
My brain works in a weird manner.. lol Sometimes (This may sound weird) I have had a slight curious thought on their emotional state while playing.. Like if they are happy having fun, or are they being serious and getting mad when they can't catch the toy... lol obviously watching Gabby play she looks like she is having a great time.. Not just her going crazy for the toy but her facial expressions as well. Then those little thoughts go away and it is pretty evident that they are usually having a lot of fun.

I'm truly glad that the time and effort you put into Omypaw and Cheetah has had a huge payoff and they are getting along so well without Cheetah being scared and Omypaw treating her like a little toy. The size difference probably didn't help in the beginning when he first saw her.

People can look at this thread and realize if you can have time to really put in the effort and be consistent with the work.. it is definitely an achievable outcome and the cats have the best payoff. They can relax have fun and have a best little play mate. It's a wonderful thing.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I LOVE the upside down laptop idea!!! I stupidly set a glass of water next to mine and then played a cat TV bird video for mine and I don't think I have to spell out what happened next. Lesson learned. 😂

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I LOVE the upside down laptop idea!!! I stupidly set a glass of water next to mine and then played a cat TV bird video for mine and I don't think I have to spell out what happened next. Lesson learned. 😂
Oh no!!!!

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have had Cheetah 14 years. I have had Omypaw 3 years. They were slowly introduced over a span of about 3 to 4 months.
Cheetah is about 7lbs with health issues snd Omypaw is a robust 12 lbs. Omypaw is about 3 to 4 years old. He was a stray. Friendly and outgoing. No fear of anything. Extremely territorial if he sees a cat out side.

Cheetah was many generations feral, living in the mountains. Trapped down a dried up well for 3 days before I got her 14 years ago. She was 4 months old at the time. Cheetah is happy and friendly with me and my significant other, but if someone comes over, you won’t see her. If I walk by her when she is eating, she bolts. This is just her. She is a fearful reactive cat. Although considering how feral she was, she is great.

Two totally opposite cats. Omypaw started chasing Cheetah, and Cheetah started hiding. In Omypaws defense, he thought she is the best squeaky toy ever. Cheetah get terrified and runs for her life. Distracting Omypaw with a toy was working well, but it’s hard to always be ready to distract and it does nothing for Cheetah’s confidence.

I started playing Cat TV for them on my laptop. It took a while for me to find some they liked. I have to turn the laptop upside down so they don’t step in the keys.

This has caused Cheetah to have much more confidence and Omypaw to realize he can exist without chasing her. They now can be very close to each other without any problems. Omypaw did push the envelope a bit yesterday when he saw her watching and came up to say hi with a sniff and she swatted, just once, claws in and went right back to watching the screen. He respectfully walked around to the other side and watched.

I have always known it was a good thing to have cats play together, but this is working even better. It’s not really Omypaw, but Cheetahs behavior that has changed with more confidence and Omypaw just reacts to that.View attachment 458577
Wonderful! What a lovely way to support them.