Cat Comb With Razors?

tom87

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a long haired stray cat that I’m feeding that lives in a shed. She had a lot of matted fur so I brought her to a groomer who did some extensive shaving of her neck and rear area. I want to try to stay on top of this so it doesn’t happen again. I’m not interested in making her look pretty I just don’t want her to be uncomfortable.

The groomer said get a good comb rather than a brush and make sure the comb has razors that will cut the mats if I understood her correctly. I saw some de-matters online with some type of blades for about $10 - 12 but at that low price I wonder if they’re any good. Any suggestions regarding tools or techniques for future mats?

Would any of these tools be good?

Safari De-Matting Dog Comb

Four Paws Magic Coat® Pro De-Matting Tool for Sensitive Areas

Four Paws Magic Coat® Mat Removing Comb

Hertzko Dog & Cat Mat Remover

Hertzko Dematting Comb Long Blades with Safety Edges

Hertzko Double Sided Large Pet Dematting Comb/Rake

Paws Pamper Dematting Comb for Dogs & Cats

Thanks!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Although I don't have any personal experience with the above grooming tools I thought you might be interested in this Brushes & Combs link on the site:
Brushes & Combs | TheCatSite

I also have a long haired cat and use a stainless steel comb but not one with razors. This particular one has worked out well for all the long haired cats I have had in the past as well.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I don't think the one that I have seen members on this site use has an actual razor, but I think those who have used it liked the way it de-sheds. It is called the Furminator, and I believe many pet stores/on line retailers sell it.

Cat deShedding Tools | FURminator®

Hopefuly, before you go the razor route, you might want to try either the Furminator or one of the ones in the link provided by neely neely . If you go with the razor type, you are going to have to check the cat from head-to-toe to ensure there are no cuts/scrapes/etc. of any kind as the razor could make them worse. I emphasize this point only because this cat you are talking about is outdoors all the time, and my have wounds you are not aware of.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have 2 long haired cats and 2 Furminators (among MANY other tools). I have this one which is for long haired cats. I HATE IT

IMG_0265.jpg

It doesn't do anything. It might work on a short haired cat but on a long haired? Not at all.

I also have this one. It's better than the pink one but still not great. I don't like the way it goes through the hair and it's rather dull so instead of going through a mat, it pulls at it. It takes a LOT of work to get it to do anything and what cat wants to deal with that?

IMG_0266.jpg

Here they are side by side so you can see the differences

IMG_0267.jpg

To rate them I'd give the pink one a 1/10 and the gray one a 5/10. I'd recommend passing on these.

Here's my #1 favorite tool for matting issues. I have two of them just in case. it says it's for dogs but most reviews are from people who used it on cats. Rating? 10/10 and it's only $6

www.amazon.com/Four-Paws-Magic-Instant-Remover/dp/B000HCJX2C/ref=sr_1_42?keywords=dematting+tool+for+cats&qid=1552170715&s=gateway&sr=8-42

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have one similar to that Safari De-Matting Dog Comb one you listed, same look different brand, I don't like it for cats. The problem is you need to get it under the mat, which isn't always easy with a cat. I bought it for my Maine coon when he got matted, but it really pulled more then cut in his fur.

Regular grooming with a metal comb, like the one neely linked, works much better to prevent the mats in the first place.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
And, if you go with a comb, depending on the tolerance level of your cat, you can manually work out the mats starting at the end and gently pull the hair apart as you move up toward the body. It is tedious if there are a lot of them, but once you can get them mostly pulled apart, use the one shown by neely neely , as amethyst amethyst has suggested - and try to use it daily, if at all possible.