Cat collar troubles

nycatgirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat simba likes to pop his collar off from time time. Its a safty collar. The clip has so many bite marks on it..it doesnt stay closed that great. Which makes it easy for simba to pop it off. He was feral in the beginning. Since i took him in..he has been wearing a collar since. I just wish he would leave it alone. Atleast when he pops the collar he does it in my bedroom on the bed. So its easy for me to find and put it back on.

taryn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Get one with the elastic safety feature. Mama has gone through 3 or 4 collars and the one that lasted the longest had an elastic safety feature.

Nuts likes to toss collars too so right now he's wearing a black one of these
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...51856&lmdn=Cat

Yes, poor Nuts is having an identity crisis, but it works in keeping it on him. He couldn't keep a breakaway collar on.

Attitude has a regular breakaway collar and she's fine with it. It just depends on the cat.

Like I said the elastic types work best for the ones who throw breakaway collars.

Forgot to add: it could just be that the collar has popped so much(especially with it being chewed on) that it can't stay closed any more. I know a collar I got Attitude as a kitten had that problem, they could throw it without a problem. So far Attitude has got her's off once and it was in the closet so I think hers performed as it was supposed to. So you could try just getting a new breakaway collar which might solve it.

Taryn

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does he need to wear a collar?

My past cats had collars, but not the current ones. I know of too many cats who had either accidents or near misses with collars - even breakaway or elastic ones.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nycatgirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
To Tyran,

Thank you for the petsmart link for the collars. I don't know if i should get that kind because when simba pops his collar he does it by licking his chest and then his bottom jaw gets caught on the collar..then it comes off. So if i got that kind of collar with the rubber band on it..im wondering if simba would freak because the collar is not giving so much. hmmmm.. I'll have to go to the store and look at collars again.

Ive been buyn collars alot.. my mom keeps saying.. your cats don't need a new one lol

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It sounds like he really doesn't like one on at all

My girls were ok with theirs collars and had them on for several years, but Jack who was semi feral would have his off after a couple of hours.

Luckily i was home when he caught his mouth in one of the snap open ones because it didn't snap open!, after that i never tried him with one again and i took the girls off them.

I shudder just thinking what would have happend had i not been home, because he had pawed at his mouth trying to get it off causing it to bleed

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by NyCatgirl

My cat simba likes to pop his collar off from time time. Its a safty collar. The clip has so many bite marks on it..it doesnt stay closed that great. Which makes it easy for simba to pop it off. He was feral in the beginning. Since i took him in..he has been wearing a collar since. I just wish he would leave it alone. Atleast when he pops the collar he does it in my bedroom on the bed. So its easy for me to find and put it back on.
How about a chip? The animal shelter I volunteer at will do it for $10!

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lola pulls hers off if it is not the exact right tightness.

She is not chipped (none of my cats are). But even if she was, she'd have to wear a collar. She was partially feral when we caught her as a kitten. The vet even commented that she had the look of a wild cat at her last check (she's an adult now). So keeping a collar on her makes it more likely that *if* she got out, someone would think she's an owned cat.

I use these collars and these tags on my cats.