Cat coat issue

katec4431

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We adopted a cat last week. She’s is around 10 months old. Her coat seems clumpy and spiky and not sure if that’s just how she is or it indicates a problem. Pictures can’t totally capture it but it stands in spiky rows. Combing doesn’t seem to fix. Any feedback will be helpful. She grooms paws but haven’t noticed her groom back. She was in multiple foster homes before here so maybe stressed?
1737E2ED-9221-4550-AE39-CF0DBEBD7F16.jpeg
44A3B2A0-9BF2-42CC-9404-6A13E81D71E4.jpeg

PuppyCatESP

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would check with the vet. My cat had that happen to her and she ended up being asthmatic, she had other symptoms though, like coughing and lost of appetite/lose of weight. But her hair got really bad until she got treated!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. It probably is worth a complete checkup (CBC/Chemistry panel for blood, urinalysis, and maybe even a fecal PCR test) with the vet, especially if there is no record of her having had this done recently. If all of that checks out, it could be just 'her'. Or it could be due the changes she has recently been through with the adoption, not to mention multiple foster homes before that. She may just need more time to adjust given her past.

Brushing (some call them slicker brushes) rather than using a 'comb' seems to be more helpful. If she is not a proficient groomer, the constant brushing can aide with that aspect as well.

Last edited:

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She was in multiple foster homes before here so maybe stressed?
As I was reading, that was my first thought. She's a new cat in a new house. She needs time to get acclimated before she will start doing routine things like grooming every day.

I agree with others. There might be an allergy issue. She might not be on the right diet for her. There are a dozen different possibilities.

I would give her time to settle in. A week is nothing. Since she is a new cat, you'll need to find a vet, pretty soon. If her coat doesn't smooth out by the time you take her to her first vet visit, be sure to bring it up.

In the mean time, make sure that she gets good food. Keep an eye out for other issues like allergies. Take notes if you want.

Basically, I think she's just a discombobulated cat. She needs some time to get... uh... re-combobulated. ;) ;) ;)

Last edited:

taraconnor777

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi i tried to post this out later,my cat has "field-burrs"way under her neck fur,prob from outside weeds(she's really indoor cat)SCRATCHES EM TO DEATH!!!SHE WON'T LET ME TOUCH EM?GO TO VET??IM sure thar's what it is,very deep in neck ruff.sigh :wave2::wave2:
many-eyes-yellow-monster-emoticon-6.gif
thanks!!! "Bella" is a 10 to 11 yr old Burmese