Cat coat food to make coat silkier

thelionsfan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is there anyway or a type of wet food or dry food that makes my cats coat silkier or softer and cleaner kinda like for dogs you buy this brand of dog food that's organic or whatever but is their one for my adult cat? Plz help

Here he is:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It's amazing how a grain free canned food versus kibble can help a cat's coat.  Or, if nothing else, you can add Salmon Oil to their diet. 

There are many good canned cat foods out there, depending on how much you want to spend.  Fancy Feast even makes a grain free, (their Classic line only) and so does Friskies, if you don't mind them using by-products.  But, seriously, I would try to stay away from kibble for the best food.  Now there are even organic cat food lines...Natural Planet, By Nature Organic to name a few.  To really learn about cat nutrition, here is a website that pretty covers everything you need to know, including how to transition your cat to canned food if they are a kibble addict:  http://www.catinfo.org/

I don't know of any food that will keep your cat's coat clean though.  That's what their tongues are for

If your furbaby is not grooming properly, there could be a health reason for that.  As a matter of fact, if that is the case, most likely there is a health reason behind it

andrya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Agreeing with mrsgreenjeens  

lf your cat's coat isn't soft and shiny, there's likely a nutritional or medical reason why. l second buying grain free canned food only.

l switched the diet of my kitties, and their fur is soft and silky. They're not just shiny, but downright glossy. Best thing l could've done for their health.

matts mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
there's a paste that you can buy for  cats and dogs, I bought it at Global Pet foods. It has 5 types of naturally occuring oils. It had salmon, sunflower, flax and two others that I can't currently remember. I used to give it to my last cat for her skin and coat, and the vet was amazed at how silky her coat was.  I had bought it to help my husband's allergies, because less dander means less allergies.

Good quality food will help too, you can really see the difference in a cat's coat if they food they're on sits well with them. Doesn't need to be expensive, just check the ingredients, and look for meat to be at the top of the list.  If it's corn of corn gluten at the top, its harder to digest and can cause tummy problems. Matt's drastic improvement came when I took corn out of his diet

Last edited:

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Agreed with everyone else! Raw egg yolks help too.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Another agreement.  We saw a vast improvement in Cocoa's coat from when we adopted her from the rescue organization, when it was in decent condition, but rather dull and had some dandruff.  Now?  Like Andrya mentioned, downright glossy, good description.  We only feed grain free meals and treats.