Cat Clothes

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone. I have a 6 year old female cat who gets cold quite easily. This is made worse by the fact that she's missing quite a bit of fur on her lower belly and down her back legs. We tend to keep the house cold in the winter and are trying to get her used to wear clothes. She does alright with them, but does walk kind of weird and won't jump while wearing anything. However, it's been hard finding anything that fits her properly. Most of the clothing is meant for dogs and her body is a lot longer and thinner than the average dog. Anything long enough for her is way too big. Anything that fits around her neck and shoulders is way too short. I was wondering if anyone has had any luck buying clothing for cats. Anything you recommend?

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sorry I'm not familiar with animal clothing but is the missing fur due to a health problem or will it grow back? Would it be possible to turn up the heat in the daytime and maybe down at night? That way she could be more comfortable during the day and perhaps sleep with you at night for warmth. One of my concerns would be whether she could comfortably use the litter box with clothes on.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry I'm not familiar with animal clothing but is the missing fur due to a health problem or will it grow back? Would it be possible to turn up the heat in the daytime and maybe down at night? That way she could be more comfortable during the day and perhaps sleep with you at night for warmth. One of my concerns would be whether she could comfortably use the litter box with clothes on.
To be honest, I'm a bit confused about the fur loss myself. I've taken her to two vets and they both say it's stress and she's overgrooming, but Ember isn't home alone much. I don't see her groom more than the other two. And quite frankly, I'd like to think I'd know if she was that stressed. But no one will believe me because she is a somewhat skittish, anxious cat and she doesn't have any other symptoms. The fur sort of comes and goes. She gets it almost back and then it's gone again. Even before the fur loss she was always cold though. She does sleep with me at night in the winter. Our house isn't freezing cold or anything, but it's definitely chilly and she always wants to be curled up with one of us, but sometimes we're busy. I'm in no rush to have her wearing clothing constantly, but am working on getting her more comfortable with them. Unfortunately for her, we're planning on moving to where it gets even colder. My goal is more to get her comfortable with clothing for when that happens. And maybe find something that'll cover at least part of where the fur is missing so that way we can see if limiting her access to it helps the fur grow back.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know there are sellers on Etsy with cat specific clothing. Many of the cat models are Sphinxes or other hairless breeds. Cat clothes | Etsy

Do you have heated beds and such?

Could the hair loss be diet related? Maybe a sensitivity to an ingredient? Or cold weather related?

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You can get onesies for your cat. They are created for post surgery (Delilah wore one after her surgery). Look on Amazon for Cat Surgery Onesie. I don't know how warm it will be, but it will definitely protect her sensitive spots (unless she is overgrooming her legs or tail. There were no issues with litterbox mess. Delilah did get annoyed and occasionally tried to tug at the velcro but she only had to wear it for 3 weeks.

If your cat has a small head and neck, make sure you get the one with the drawstring neck or put in your own drawstring. Delilah squirmed out of the one without a secure neck.

This is the one I had ordered
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YZ4WXCW/?tag=thecatsite

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know there are sellers on Etsy with cat specific clothing. Many of the cat models are Sphinxes or other hairless breeds. Cat clothes | Etsy

Do you have heated beds and such?

Could the hair loss be diet related? Maybe a sensitivity to an ingredient? Or cold weather related?
I don't know why I didn't think of Etsy.

I've considered heated beds, but I'm a bit scared to get anything expensive because one of the other cats is prone to UTIs. He hasn't had a UTI since getting him on a special diet, but we've been struggling with on and off peeing outside the litterbox. I don't want him to end up peeing in an expensive heated bed.

I guess she could have developed a sensitivity? There's no redness or irritation or anything and I haven't changed her food in a few years. The fur loss has been back and forth basically since the beginning of last spring, but this is the worst it's been in a while, possibly ever. She had it almost all back at one point. I could try changing her food I suppose. I'm getting the dogs on something else and was thinking about switching the cats to it too if all went well.

What about a heated bed instead? And you might want to see a vet about a food or environmental allergy.
My other cat is prone to UTIs and has decided he sometimes likes peeing outside the box, so I'm afraid he'd end up peeing in a heated bed. She's been to two different vets both of whom said it was stress/overgrooming. I think they ruled out allergies because there's no signs or irritation, but I could try changing foods to see if it could be that.

You can get onesies for your cat. They are created for post surgery (Delilah wore one after her surgery). Look on Amazon for Cat Surgery Onesie. I don't know how warm it will be, but it will definitely protect her sensitive spots (unless she is overgrooming her legs or tail. There were no issues with litterbox mess. Delilah did get annoyed and occasionally tried to tug at the velcro but she only had to wear it for 3 weeks.

If your cat has a small head and neck, make sure you get the one with the drawstring neck or put in your own drawstring. Delilah squirmed out of the one without a secure neck.

This is the one I had ordered
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YZ4WXCW/?tag=thecatsite

Oh, cool. The drawstring is a good idea. The fur loss does go down her back legs, but if the fur grew back on her belly then at least we'd have a definite answer. I just might have to get one.

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm sure if you keep looking you might find one with legs. I just posted the one that I used. It worked great post surgery and I didn't have to worry if Delilah crawled in anywhere that her incision was going to get reopened or dirty.

Edit: Thinking about it, if it's just her back legs you could possibly sew on a pair of kids' socks to the rear leg holes.

Last edited:

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sure if you keep looking you might find one with legs. I just posted the one that I used. It worked great post surgery and I didn't have to worry if Delilah crawled in anywhere that her incision was going to get reopened or dirty.

Edit: Thinking about it, if it's just her back legs you could possibly sew on a pair of kids' socks to the rear leg holes.
Yeah, maybe. Either way it's nice to have some answers. I would definitely like to have that drawstring though. We just got some pajamas that have the legs, but they're way too big up front. She just walks right out of it eventually. So we'd like to try to do something to make it fit better up front.

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Running a drawstring through the one you have should be easy. Or pin the neck with a diaper pin.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
A lot of heated cat beds, of which I have several, are basically a smooth plastic covered single piece that can be used with a pad or placed under a blanket or bed. K and H makes one specifically to place under existing bedding. If the cat with the UTI soils the bedding you can easily wash it. In fact,I am not sure that I have ever seen a heated bed that is actually made of fabric with wires like older electric blankets were. I have an older cat with intestinal lymphoma who leaks small amounts of fecal matter and it has never soiled or compromised one of the beds.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Instead of an electric heated bed, you can use a microwavable one. I use the SnuggleSafe for my cats. It's hard plastic so easy to clean if needed. The removable fabric cover can be washed. With any heated bed or mat, you'd still want to cover it with a folded towel or something to prevent burns so that's another layer that can be washed if needed.

I don't see how a heated bed or mat would cause urinary issues for the other cat. Maybe stress from a new object?

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A lot of heated cat beds, of which I have several, are basically a smooth plastic covered single piece that can be used with a pad or placed under a blanket or bed. K and H makes one specifically to place under existing bedding. If the cat with the UTI soils the bedding you can easily wash it. In fact,I am not sure that I have ever seen a heated bed that is actually made of fabric with wires like older electric blankets were. I have an older cat with intestinal lymphoma who leaks small amounts of fecal matter and it has never soiled or compromised one of the beds.
Well, that could work. It would definitely need to be washable. He doesn't usually pee in beds unless he has a bad UTI, but he's surprised us a couple of times recently by peeing in weird places with no UTI.

Instead of an electric heated bed, you can use a microwavable one. I use the SnuggleSafe for my cats. It's hard plastic so easy to clean if needed. The removable fabric cover can be washed. With any heated bed or mat, you'd still want to cover it with a folded towel or something to prevent burns so that's another layer that can be washed if needed.

I don't see how a heated bed or mat would cause urinary issues for the other cat. Maybe stress from a new object?
That could be a good idea. She could have that when we leave which would be nice. As long as it can be washed it should be okay.

The bed wouldn't cause a UTI, but if he got one he might pee in it. Or he could pee in it even without a UTI. If it can't be washed then it's pretty much ruined.