Cat Clipper Comb First Timer Advice

Moo2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi I want to maybe do a light clip for the first time on our long haired cat. Daily brushing and hovering is not enough. Any advice on the min trim with cat shaver/clipper done at home by us? He is a passive cat and easily scared. I think would be better we try rather than a stranger. How often do we then need to do it ? Can successfully clip with scissors around the bottom already...any advice welcome!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Moo2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Maybe with scissors? He isn't scared of scissors...

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
I have electric clippers, but found that I have better success with blunt-end scissors - but the caveat is that I have to wait for my boy to be as deeply asleep as possible. Since you're able to do your kitty's behind, you're ahead of the game, good for you!!

I usually try to get a trim done every couple-three months or so - it just depends on when I start to see the hair getting too long, and I have to do a hygiene trim more frequently due to dingleberries sticking - (I need to make a food change, I think - his poo shouldn't be more dry/less sticky). In any case, his cottony belly hair mats the moment it gets to a certain length, --I swear all I have to do is look at it sideways and it mats LOL

Best of luck - let us know how things go :)

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Are you talking about trimming all over his body - or just his behind? I wasn't sure. Anyway, some time ago a member posted about the Furminator, which is more of a de-shedding tool. It can be found on sites like Petco and Chewy. If I am not on the wrong track with what you want to do, you can do an internet search on its name and read about it.

Moo2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi!
I have electric clippers, but found that I have better success with blunt-end scissors - but the caveat is that I have to wait for my
Hi!
I have electric clippers, but found that I have better success with blunt-end scissors - but the caveat is that I have to wait for my boy to be as deeply asleep as possible. Since you're able to do your kitty's behind, you're ahead of the game, good for you!!

I usually try to get a trim done every couple-three months or so - it just depends on when I start to see the hair getting too long, and I have to do a hygiene trim more frequently due to dingleberries sticking - (I need to make a food change, I think - his poo shouldn't be more dry/less sticky). In any case, his cottony belly hair mats the moment it gets to a certain length, --I swear all I have to do is look at it sideways and it mats LOL

Dingleberries? Thanks for advice, how do you cut even
to be as deeply asleep as possible. Since you're able to do your kitty's behind, you're ahead of the game, good for you!!

Din
Hi!

Dingleberries ??great name! Thanks, how do you get an even cut ? I have very small blunt ones but last time I tried it was very uneven! He is a deep sleeper...

Moo2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. Are you talking about trimming all over his body - or just his behind? I wasn't sure. Anyway, some time ago a member posted about the Furminator, which is more of a de-shedding tool. It can be found on sites like Petco and Chewy. If I am not on the wrong track with what you want to do, you can do an internet search on its name and read about it.
Thanks will look it up!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
how do you get an even cut ? I have very small blunt ones but last time I tried it was very uneven!
I have to admit I don't worry about it too much, but I think you'll become more confident with time, and with that you may find that it might look better as well :)