Cat climbing christmas tree breaking ornaments

prettyone

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, I have had cats for the past 20 years and never had any major problems with cats climbing our tree. They have knocked ornaments off the lower branches. We have an orange tabby that is 18 months old and he is climbing the tree and knocking off ornaments. last year when he was 8 months old he would try to climb the tree but we put a collar on the tree and he left it alone, but now he is 18 months and climbing the tree and terrorizing our other cat that is 4 which she doesn't even bother the tree. I know cats like to climb so please no sarcastic comments. We have tried the sprays, water bottles and nothing seems to be working. I would appreciate any help that somebody knows will work, we are so frustrated that we are going crazy. I love him but can't live this. We are talking about drastic actions like putting up a barrior around the tree. We have tried the red pepper he eats it, we tried cinnamon and he likes that to, tried the keep off spray which doesn't work. Is there such a thing as terrible 2's for cats? I have never seen him like this. He is really a terror right now, I feel bad for our 4 year old cat because he won't leave her alone, he is always attacking her. Once again please keep sarcastic comments like (cat's climb trees don't they) to your self. I am looking for legitimate help that will work.

Thank you

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
First off if anyone tells you cats especially kittens like to climb, they aren't being sarcastic, they are being truthful
You can remove all breakable ornaments off the tree (they shouldn't be there anyway) not if you have cats- tinsel and other garland are also toxic so hopefully you don't have any of that either.

You have two options, you can try and keep him away from the tree (which probably won't work) or you can anchor the tree with a strong ceiling hook and fishing line to the ceiling, and just ignore him in the tree and let him climb. Once you ignore him, the fun goes out of it and he will stop. It just means you basically strip the tree down and let the cats decorate it.
There are lots of dangerous things on trees for kittens and cats but if you chase him off, yell at him, etc he thinks it is a game and will continue to play.

If Walmart is open they have a generic special kitty litter that is citrus scented and cats abhor it. You can buy some of that and sprinkle it around the tree, or buy several car air fresheners citrus scented and hang those on the lower branches.

For us, we put the tree up and let the cats have their time with it. With over a dozen cats and some kittens I learned long ago that it is easier to give in then to raise the roof about something that is natural for cats to do.

Good luck!

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's still under two, so he has all the enrgy of a kitten and a bigger body than he did at 8 months. Unfortunately, other than what hissy mentioned, there isn't a lot that can be done. Most people on this site with kittens have to forgo a tree until they grow up and mellow out, or they realize when they put the tree up that it is going to get beat up.

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Put something sticky on it and as was mentioned something with a citrus scent. Around the base you can also place a office mat designed to protect carpet upside down w/ spikes up. It won't pierce the pad, but it sure is uncomfortable to walk on.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Today's not the best time to look, but you can get motion detectors to put around your tree that make a loud noise to scare off pets. The best thing to do is stick to unbreakable ornaments (cloth or wood) and anchor the tree.

crazybird

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree, its a major pain to have (young) cats and christmas trees. Our recently adopted 18 wk old kitty has taken on the tree as his own personal playground. Our older cats are pretty good about leaving it alone, but I do still catch them smackin' an ornament around until it falls off (and they bat it around the room til I stop'em), but even still we use nothing but shatterproof. By the time the tree is ready to come down, there are usually about HALF of the number of ornaments on the lower 12 inches of tree than there were when we started....

I try to remember, the christmas tree is only an issue for 3-4 weeks out of the entire year. The kitties provide us entertainment and lovins the other 48 or so weeks.... I think it's worth it....

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We wound up taking our Christmas tree down a week before Christmas. Luna and Midnight started off just knocking the branches down and chewing them. Then chasing each other around inside the tree. Then Luna started chewing on the lights, so the lights came down. We only had their stockings on the tree. Midnight took care of that when he jumped into the tree, and stole Luna's stocking. The tree came down when we found Luna's face was cut by a branch, deep enough for her to bleed. Maybe next year. Kittens and Christmas trees don't mix

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by hissy

For us, we put the tree up and let the cats have their time with it. With over a dozen cats and some kittens I learned long ago that it is easier to give in then to raise the roof about something that is natural for cats to do.
That's what we do too, my cats are inspired by Iris and Fern
http://www.fluffytails.ca/christmas.asp From kittens to 4 year olds, all enjoy bringing down the tree, they have such fun.

Those I know who don't want the tree destroyed keep it shut in a room the cats aren't allowed in, or use a barrier - but depending on what type of cats you've got barriers can be pretty useless.

daoldguy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We are fortunate in that Captain Hook pretty much ignores our tree. But, with my limited cat knowledge, I think it is like cats and table tops. I figure there are two ways to keep cats from going on table tops and counter tops, either don't have tables and counter tops or don't have cats. Neither is a viable option with us.

So, if it happens, we say "You know you are not allowed to do that when people are watching."

Me, I think, pretty much the same goes for trees.

Enjoy those cats!

Best of the season to you.

Rik

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Well, you could turn it into a game....and I'm not being sarcastic. Honest.

When we put our trees up (we have three full-length trees), we only put unbreakables and kitty-friendly ornaments on the bottom 2 feet or so of the tree. And when the cats remove a ornament, we simply place it in a box or basket and keep track of the number during the time the trees are up.

We have six cats, but four of them are geriatric kitties and mostly eat and sleep. Amber, who is seven years old, likes to sleep in the tree, but she doesn't play with the ornaments.

Mollipop, however, is our ten-month-old kitten and she's intrigued by the trees. So far, she (and she alone) has removed 24 ornaments from the trees.....a new record for our family!

Truthfully, it doesn't really bother us. They are cats and that's what cats do. We've learned to adjust, for the most part. We've learned that we have to wire the tree in the living room to the baseboard at the floor. And with the tree skirt and green wire, you don't even see the wire unless you're really looking for it. After the cats toppled the tree one year, we decided to use the wire and it works well. After pulling tinsel out of Hydrox's butt one year, we learned that tinsel and kitties don't mix. We don't even put garland on the trees anymore, just a pretty ribbon. We just chalk it up to having the cats in the house.

phillygal

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Our first cat pretty
much ignored the Christmas tree. She was curious, but not so curious that she ever did any harm. She was an older cat who had been outside her whole life; been there, done that, I guess!

Casey
was a very good cat in almost all respects except with regard to the Christmas tree. He could easily climb it and not damage or "relocate" any ornaments!
We were always worried he would get hurt (get jabbed in the eye...). It was by far his favorite "toy".

So we made the decision to just get a smaller tree which we located on top of a tall TV stand/bookcase. It helped with Casey a lot and now that he is gone and Buddy is here, we are really glad we did it. Buddy is into everything; he would probably demolish a Christmas tree!
He is also much larger and heavier. We do miss having a larger tree, but it was not worth the angst for us.

luvzmykatz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My first cat pretty much ignored the trees but she was an outside/inside cat. My second who is now 13 years old and too big just likes to hang out and knock ornaments off of it. He also rubs his face against to the pine needles. When I first got him them he was much smaller maybe 7 or 8 lbs and would fling his whole body at the tree and constantly climb it. It was nothing to come into a room and see the tree dancing and shaking around...it was the funniest thing. He did manage to knock it over a few times too. Finally I just stopped putting up big trees and did the smaller trees I could put on a table. My new kitty Rasta just likes to nibble on the branches and play with the pretty hanging things she sees. I guess if the tree is causing problems wait till you cat is older and then they won't be so interested but each cat is different and it's hard to say how they will react till you put one up. Good luck.

sneakymom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rad65

He's still under two, so he has all the enrgy of a kitten and a bigger body than he did at 8 months. Unfortunately, other than what hissy mentioned, there isn't a lot that can be done. Most people on this site with kittens have to forgo a tree until they grow up and mellow out, or they realize when they put the tree up that it is going to get beat up.
So does it get better when they turn 2

We've nicknamed HollyHeart (who turned 1 in October) Mayhem- from the Allstate commercials.

She slept in the fake tree the first night it was up. Tried to climb the real one, but got yelled at (and hasn't climbed it since). Numerous ornaments have been taken off the tree (all unbreakable ones- I put those at the bottom). I found one upstairs- the tree is downstairs- I guess she was bored

She figured out that the little plastic lights in the ceramic Christmas tree were really fun to take out of the tree and knock on the floor. Once I found out she was doing that (she did it while one of my kids was watching)- the tree went away. If it had fallen, it would not be good for either cat or tree.

The cats did manage to chip one of the English Village ceramic houses my MIL made. The "girls" (Sneaky Pie is going to be 10) were chasing each other around the tree. One of them stopped, and 2 houses knocked into each other. I'm kind of annoyed- but I did put them out on the floor- and Holly gets into EVERYTHING.

I honestly thought that she'd chill out a little bit when she turned 1. Guess not. But then again- if she stopped being the curious little cat that she is- then she wouldn't be Holly..........

Cheryl