Cat claws frequently bleed after playing aggressively. Is this normal?

maevin502

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is 1.5 years old spayed female. She likes to sprint around the house , jump around, and chase her toys. I have found her claws bleeding multiple times, usually after she is finished playing. Has anyone ever seen this behavior before and is it normal?

It's been more than a week since I trimmed her claws. I've never seen her claws bleed from trimming, as I've always avoided cutting the quick. Her blood dried claws make it difficult to trim.

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat is 1.5 years old spayed female. She likes to sprint around the house , jump around, and chase her toys. I have found her claws bleeding multiple times, usually after she is finished playing. Has anyone ever seen this behavior before and is it normal?

It's been more than a week since I trimmed her claws. I've never seen her claws bleed from trimming, as I've always avoided cutting the quick. Her blood dried claws make it difficult to trim.
I've never experienced this nor have heard of it. Hopefully someone with more knowledge can give you a decent answer.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I have never heard of or seen this either. If it were just one claw, that seems reasonable to think that vigorous play might be the culprit. But, to have them all bleed makes me wonder if it is some sort of nutritional/chemical imbalance, or a structural issue with your cat's claws.

Have you talked to your vet about this, to see if they might have some ideas on possible underlying causes?

Also, although, I doubt it is the case, you might ask to have the vet watch you clip a nail in their presence, just to make sure there is nothing that you are doing during the trimming process that could be causing a problem.