cat clawing/biting at bedsheet

laprof

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a male 2 1/2 year old American shorthair. I washed the duvet cover yesterday and put it on the bed. As I was getting ready to go to sleep, he started clawing and nipping at a couple of spots on the blanket; he seemed agitated. He was upset when I gently tried to move him. He stopped after a few minutes and today he's fine.

To me, this behavior was odd. Could it have been related to the fact I washed it yesterday?

Thanks for letting me know your thoughts!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. It very likely had to do with the cleaning of the duvet, especially if your cat spends a fair amount of time on it. His scent was there and then it was not once it was washed. It also took on a new smell from the detergent that has probably begun to dissipate - and once again be replaced by your cat's own scent.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

laprof

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok, thanks for confirming my suspicion. I couldn't think of any other reason for it.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
It just could have been silliness/excitement over newly washed bedclothes. It sometimes includes running in circles, bunny kicking covers, trying to get underneath them or grabbing them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

laprof

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks, that's very helpful!