Cat Chronic Eye Infection

Diana12345

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My kitty has had an eye infection for two weeks. The first couple days he had inflammation and protrusion of the third eyelid, clear discharge, and he seemed a bit lethargic and had less of an appetite. After that, everything resolved except his eyelid was still protruding and slightly inflamed. We gave him Vetropolycin antibiotic ointment and it seemed to have no effect. And then a few days later, his eyelid got more inflamed and started watering again, and he seemed lethargic again. It has since calmed down a bit, but it is still inflamed.

My guesses are that it is herpes virus, chlamydia, or a physical issue. However, there has been no coughing or sneezing. Anyone has had a similar experience?

Attachments

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Basically I'm bumping this thread up for you since you've had no response. I do recall reading other threads over the years of hard to cure eye infections though, so hang in there. I did manage to find this thread which might offer some help: Blind Cat Keeps Getting Eye Infection

carebare

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat had conjunctivitis recently. It started in one eye then soon spread to the other. The vet first checked for a foreign body or scratch to the eye using a dye, rinsed his eye, and prescribed terramycin. Eventually he had no eyelid swelling, but he still had eye discharge. I beleive his eye discharge was a bacteria infection, and a secondary symptom of a health issue possibly allergies. He never really sneezed. The swelling went down within a few days like three, but the medicine needed a couple weeks to address the discharge.

It did not look like your cat. Your cat may have a physical issue. The vet can rinse the eye, check for a foreign object in the eye or under the eyelid or behind the eye, put a dye on the eye to check for scratches, and check for other issues. Because it is only in one eye, not responding to the medicine, only the inner eyelid, it may be something other than bacteria infection.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Terramycin is what I used too, and it worked really well. Diana, How long did you use the ointment, 10 days?

Ashley23

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat had something similar in one eye , third eyelid and discharge.. her third eyelid wasn’t red though. We were to put erythromycin for a few days, it cleared up but then came back and had to do the ointment again, cleared up.. came back.

Brought back to the vet, she then gave us last resort before going to eye doctor , steroid eye drops , for 5 days every 3 hours. This worked so well and have been clear of eye problems since

carebare

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think a few sources said don't put steroids in eye unless you rule out a scratch.