CAT CHEWS CABLES!!! URGENT!!!!

novathekittycat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Lightning McQueen has destroyed 4 earphones, 1 earphone extension, 1 computer mouse, 4 phone chargers, and is currently working on a computer charger. Earphones = around 20$, earphone extension = 5$, computer mouse = 15$, phone chargers = 20$, computer charger = 15$

20 + 5 + 15 + 20 + 15 = 75! 

We can't constantly buy new cables! My mom and dad think we should get rid of him, but I really love him!! He is my precious baby boy!! I am too young for a job, and my mom is the only one working! We want to have a Christmas tree, but he will chew the cable for the lights. We also ave this tiny 3ft tree, 10 years old and crappy and ugly. Either get rid of Lightning McQueen and have a nice tree, or keep him and have a crappy one. UGH I hate that tiny tree! I was SO HAPPY when we got the big one! Please help me!

Last edited:

lyrajean

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Um yeah, My cat Aya did this when younger. You must hide devices with small chewable cords and/or wrap them with cord protectors. Those plastic spring shaped things. I got mine while living with cat in Japan, so I can't suggest a source.  Yes, it's time consuming but worth it over lot of $$$ for the devices he's wrecking, or worse getting rid of the cat. Larger cords can be hidden behind things where he can't get at them, bundled together and wrapped with cord protectors.

Also, think about why he is doing this, more than likely he is bored. Do you spend play time with him? Does he have appropriate toys he can chew, surfaces to scratch, places to climb, window seats to look out of, etc... 

He may also grow out of it in time. Aya liked to chew cords as a kitten but has found other cat "hobbies" more entertaining as she matures.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Use electrical cord covers everywhere. There are also box-like things you can get to hide eletrical cords in so they don't look unsightly under  desk or tv stand and the like. You can buy these at office supply stores and many places online. A cheaper alternative is to use aquarium air line tubing or similar clear but thicker tubing from the hardware store. Slit the tube lengthwise and tuck the cords inside. Coating the tubes and covesrs with Bitter Apple spray or hot sauce is optional. Some cats may not even be fazed by the yucky coating. Try to put cords away when they are not in use.

How old is your cat? Bored cats and kittens often chew on things because they have nothing else to do. Yes, you can give them toys and cat furniture but they might still be bored. Getting a second cat usually resolves the boredom but might not be an option for every cat or family.

kyface

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I also have this issue with one of my cats. I've come to find that accessiblity is a contributing factor in the frequency in which he chews cords, he also very much likes long and thin cords, so any of those particular cords I wrap up and try to make them as hard to get to as possible (basically not laying across the floor).

I personally haven't gotten to a point to which I feel like I need cord wrapping or the like. Although, I've heard rubbing some dry soap on the cords is enough to deter them sometimes, it's also not so tasty. It seems easier then coating the entire cable with plastic or some liquid repellant.

Good luck!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My rabbits chewed cords (one got shocked multiple times and still chewed them). We got in the habit of cords on floors being in PVC piping. Computer and phones cords were only out when in use and away in drawers or bags when not. You could try wrapping them in packing or duct tape with the sticky side out too.

It sounds though like a bored teething kitty. Which means more toys and play time might help curb the behavior.

sargon

High Priest of Freya, The Slightly Bitey.
Super Cat
Purraise
y kitten likes chewing cords, and cord covers help a lot ( they aren't as fun to chew *and* help protect the cords), as others have said. For added effect you could also try bitter apple, although some cats don't seem to mind it ( mine doesn't seem to care, for example)

Here are the ones I purchased. They are fairly inexpensive, and work, though I'd hardly call them amazing quality.

(3/8 inch for larger cables)

( 1/4 inch for smaller cables like usb cables)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

novathekittycat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We did get a tube today, but my parents still won't let me have the big tree. UGH I HATE THAT SMALL ONE SOOOOO MUCH!! Sorry for yelling but it is so crappy. They think he will chew the tree, but he can't knock it over! Why do they think he will knock it over? Weird

raina21

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I hate to be the one to bring the bad news but, Cats often knock over christmas trees.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]