Cat Chewing On Plant

Artistwolf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My dad has this little plant that he brings inside in winter. Since it's getting colder here now, he decided to bring the plant inside. But my two five month old cats started chewing on the leaves! My dad gave them a spray of water and they avoided the plant after that... when we were sitting there. The next morning, the plant had very clearly been chewed on, as there were leaves on the floor and all. I'm not sure what kind of plant it is; I'll have to look it up, but I'm almost positive it's safe for the cats to eat. Not that that helps with the problem, lol. It used to have a very tall stem with leaves at the top, but we had to cut it to move and now it's just regrading from the base, hence the cat-accessible leaves. The crazy thing is, the cats are allowed outside so they chew on those plants, but they still insist on tearing up this plant! Not sure why, but this plant means a lot to my dad so it's rather important I get them to stop. Any ideas? Right now I believe he moved it to a room they're not allowed in, but it's unfortunate because he likes having it on display.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Go to a retailer like target and look for a woven metal basket with openings large enough for the plant to get sunlight but small enough for cats not to be able to get their heads in and set it upside down over the plant. Not attractive but should keep the plant safe.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
Would you be able to post a photo of the plant? I know you said it's safe for cats to eat but it won't hurt to get an identification on it and a definite yes or no on its toxicity. We can probably help you with that.

As far as keeping your cats away from it, you've already learned what spraying a cat with a water bottle accomplishes. It teaches cats to do the inappropriate behavior when the person manning the spray bottle isn't around.

You might find these articles on problem chewing and on behavior modification useful.

How To Stop Problem Chewing In Cats
5 Reasons To Never Spray Water On Your Cat
The Dos And Don'ts Of Cat Behavior Modification

Sudden sound can be an effective means of stopping inappropriate behavior but only if the cat doesn't know the source of the sound. Some people use a burst of canned air and others try shaking a can with dried beans or something hard in it. Again, you have to manage this so the cat doesn't know you're the one making the noise. There are devices that use motion sensors to trigger bursts of air or ultrasonic vibrations but these are generally for outdoor use - still it might be worth looking into them.

Another means of stopping problem chewing is to spray or put something unpleasant near or on the plant. Citrus is an old tried and true favorite - putting lemon or orange peels on the soil or around the base of the often repels cats with a snack on their minds. There are also commercially available sprays, such as bitter apple that you can spray on the plants leaves. In theory, the awful taste discourages additional chewing. In practice, not all cats get the hint. Again, it's worth a try. Just be sure you test it on the leaf first to confirm it's not harmful to that particular plant.

Best of luck protecting your father's plant. As a lover of cats and plants, I can sympathize with both of you. :catrub:

happilyretired

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would put the plant in a place the cats can't get to it. My cats have always chewed on my spider plants, which are OK for them. I've found that they chew on them as they do on grass (which I provide for them) to 'settle' their stomach.