Cat chemo question (time sensitive)

cosima53

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,

I'm hoping to get your perspective on something. I have a wonderful orange tabby cat, Little Bit, who is only 5 and 1/2 years old, but has developed large cell lymphoma in his intestines. He was diagnosed a month ago, and started CHOP chemotherapy and steroids immediately. The treatment has been wonderful so far--he's had almost no side effects, he's put weight back on, he's been eating and playing, and the vet says that the mass has gotten smaller each time he's been in.

His treatments are weekly, and the first two went off without a hitch. Then, he caught some sort of respiratory virus, likely from his weakened immune system. So, we skipped week #3 to give him time to take antibiotics and recover, which he did. He took his third treatment last week, and then the oncologist told us with little notice that she'd be on vacation the week after (this week) so if we wanted to get his fourth treatment on time we would need to either drive to the next nearest hospital--which is an hour away--or we could take another week off and do his fourth treatment the following week, followed by his planned week off from treatment.

The oncologist, who has been wonderful so far, didn't seem concerned about him missing a second week of treatment if we couldn't make it to the far away hospital. We initially decided we didn't want to have any more scheduling hiccups and planned to take him for the appointment, but now are wondering if it's really necessary. He hates riding in cars, and if it really won't make a difference, we're considering holding off until next week instead.

So, my question is, do any of you have any insight into the possible ramifications of getting off schedule with chemo treatments? Are we putting him at risk if we wait until next week to get his fourth treatment of this CHOP cycle, especially since he already had to delay one week due to his cold? The oncologist truly didn't seem concerned, so I'm not sure if I'm being unduly anxious or not.

Thanks in advance for your insight!!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. No experience here either. But, if the oncologist seemed to think another week off from treatment isn't a big deal, I would take it off and avoid the stress from the drive. Besides, it gives his little body some additional time to get past the respiratory issue.