Cat changes in behavior on fluoxetine

Freddieandchip

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat has been taking fluoxetine for almost a month and almost as soon as he started taking it I noticed differences in his personality. He definitely seems to be less anxious but he used to be super energetic and playful and he also loved to cuddle. Ever since he started taking it, he is quieter and doesn’t interact with me or my other cats as much. He has been having health issues since he started as well, I was thinking that the constant vet visits could be the reason for these changes and not the fluoxetine. I’m just wondering if anyone else has had this experience on the medication. He still plays and cuddles but nowhere near as much as he used to. I don’t want him to be anxious but I also miss his old happy personality and I’m not sure how long to wait before talking to the vet about possibly trying a different medication than fluoxetine

suzeanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat has been on fluoxetine for about two years. I tried to wean her off of it completely but saw near immediate reoccurrence of her anxiety behaviors so she's on a very small dose now (smaller than initially prescribed). It did make her sleepy after each dose for the first few weeks and she had suppressed appetite (which was helpful in modifying her diet, she was very overweight). Anyway, she's a crazy lady now (runs around, plays, climbs on things she shouldn't, zoomies, etc.) -- I'm guessing you might see him adjust to the meds and perhaps someday will be able to gradually lower the dose.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Freddieandchip

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat has been on fluoxetine for about two years. I tried to wean her off of it completely but saw near immediate reoccurrence of her anxiety behaviors so she's on a very small dose now (smaller than initially prescribed). It did make her sleepy after each dose for the first few weeks and she had suppressed appetite (which was helpful in modifying her diet, she was very overweight). Anyway, she's a crazy lady now (runs around, plays, climbs on things she shouldn't, zoomies, etc.) -- I'm guessing you might see him adjust to the meds and perhaps someday will be able to gradually lower the dose.
Thank you for the reply! I think I’m going to wait another month since it can take up to 8 weeks for the full effect of the medication and if I don’t notice any positive changes by then I will probably ask the vet about lowering the dose. He developed cystitis due to his anxiety so I definitely think he needs something, I just hate to see his personality change so much.

Freddieandchip

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
~ I tried SSRI on one of my cats. It did make him more sedate, but it also dulled his personality. I stopped using it.
I would try CBD oil instead.
Good luck ... 💕😽✨️
Thank you for the reply! I think I’m going to wait a little longer and if I don’t see the changes I want I will talk to the vet about lowering the dose or possibly trying an alternative. It definitely makes me feel better to know that I’m not the only one that had this experience, I have been so worried about him

KittyFriday

🐱
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeah, it can take several weeks for the meds to reach their full effect, and there is a notorious side effect window that can last up to that entire time. It can cause appetite changes, personality changes, even increased anxiety.

I haven't had a cat on fluoxetine, but my dog used to take it before being switched to paroxetine. I had experience taking SSRIs myself, so I knew all too well what could be expected and was probably a bit better prepared for him having that firsthand knowledge myself. The medications were beneficial, though, for both of us. I did stop taking mine, and I have considered weaning my boy off this summer to see if he can handle life without them.

Gizmobius

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oliver has been on fluoxetine since September and has been on an increase in his dose since the end of February. He's very high stress/high anxiety so, for now, it's something necessary for him to be on. I noticed positive changes in his personality after a month of use. He did begin to sleep more, but for a cat who I hardly ever saw sleep before the medication, it seemed like a good thing!

Since increasing his dose to 4mg twice a day, he's started to display some strong symptoms of feline hyperesthesia syndrome so I'm debating cutting him back to 4mg once a day. I don't believe the fluoxetine is the cause of that, however, but perhaps too high of a dose is causing his anxiety to trigger some other side effects.

Freddieandchip

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oliver has been on fluoxetine since September and has been on an increase in his dose since the end of February. He's very high stress/high anxiety so, for now, it's something necessary for him to be on. I noticed positive changes in his personality after a month of use. He did begin to sleep more, but for a cat who I hardly ever saw sleep before the medication, it seemed like a good thing!

Since increasing his dose to 4mg twice a day, he's started to display some strong symptoms of feline hyperesthesia syndrome so I'm debating cutting him back to 4mg once a day. I don't believe the fluoxetine is the cause of that, however, but perhaps too high of a dose is causing his anxiety to trigger some other side effects.
I hope he feels better! My cat was pretty much fine other than when it came to using the litter box. During the day he was happy and energetic but at night he would become restless and cry a lot and go in and out of the litter box the the point that he developed cystitis. I tried playing with him a lot before bed and sleeping on the couch to be closer to him but nothing helped :(. He is on 5mg once a day, I’m thinking of asking my vet to half the dose if the side effects don’t get better soon.

Gizmobius

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I hope he feels better! My cat was pretty much fine other than when it came to using the litter box. During the day he was happy and energetic but at night he would become restless and cry a lot and go in and out of the litter box the the point that he developed cystitis. I tried playing with him a lot before bed and sleeping on the couch to be closer to him but nothing helped :(. He is on 5mg once a day, I’m thinking of asking my vet to half the dose if the side effects don’t get better soon.
I know the struggle! Oliver initially went on it because he wouldn't pee in the litterbox. Nowadays he's much better at using it, but still prefers to pee on a pee pad in one specific spot. I wish you luck with your kitty. It can feel very exhausting when you just want them to feel better but aren't sure what other steps to possibly take. I actually just ordered a thundershirt for him today because, at this point, why not give that a try! :lol: