Cat Changed Completely After Getting A New Kitten

kozeta.leka

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,
I have a 6 month old siamese female cat, named Mia. We used to be very close together. She played all day with me and giving me all the affection of the world. Because I work 10-12 hours a day, I decided to get a new one (2 weeks ago), also siamese. She is 2 months old and a very active kitten. The first day there was hissing and fighting, but they become very close in two days. It looks to me they are friends now, and the Mia takes care of the younger, licking her all the time and playing together. However, she has changed completely towards me. Every time the little one comes near me, she just goes away. She seems to tolerate me petting her, but not really enjoying it. She NEVER plays with me anymore. The little one also is all the time behind us, molesting us when I try to pet Mia.
I see from her eyes that she is really sad. Can you give me some advice please? I am very stressed right now and I have even considered to give the little one to someone else (which breaks my heart, because I love her very much)

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!

but they become very close in two days. It looks to me they are friends now, and the Mia takes care of the younger, licking her all the time and playing together.
In my opinion, she isn't sad. Simply, your position in her world has changed and the new kitten is a priority. She is wanting to be able to focus on her priority, the kitten.

I believe this will probably change in the future to the point that all three of you are equal again.
Play with the little one, if Mia wants to play then do so, but if she doesn't, never mind maybe later. If Mia doesn't want petted, then again, never mind maybe later.

Definitely DO NOT stress about this! These are just babies, not even a year old yet. Their personalities aren't fully developed by a long measure.

Please don't even consider giving the little one to someone else. Both you and Mia won't be happy if you do that! Love them both, don't stress (this is important because the cats pick up on the fact that you are stressing and not happy), be patient and enjoy watching the story unfold. My thinking is that in time as the little kitten grows, Mia will become less focused on the kitten and more aware of you again.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A 6 month old cat is roughly the equivalent of a 4 year old personality wise. Personality will change 3 times before breakfast. Kitten + kitten typically play a lot, create whirlwinds, cause chaos, bounce off walls. Not a lot of time to chill. Wait a bit, things will change. None of which is to say things will be *exactly* like they were before, but I'd bet you'll have two buddies before you know it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kozeta.leka

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks! It helps me a lot to see it from this point of view :))))

Hi!

In my opinion, she isn't sad. Simply, your position in her world has changed and the new kitten is a priority. She is wanting to be able to focus on her priority, the kitten.

I believe this will probably change in the future to the point that all three of you are equal again.
Play with the little one, if Mia wants to play then do so, but if she doesn't, never mind maybe later. If Mia doesn't want petted, then again, never mind maybe later.

Definitely DO NOT stress about this! These are just babies, not even a year old yet. Their personalities aren't fully developed by a long measure.

Please don't even consider giving the little one to someone else. Both you and Mia won't be happy if you do that! Love them both, don't stress (this is important because the cats pick up on the fact that you are stressing and not happy), be patient and enjoy watching the story unfold. My thinking is that in time as the little kitten grows, Mia will become less focused on the kitten and more aware of you again.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. I also think it's not so much that Mia doesn't like you anymore, but that she has a new best bud. :catlove:

Play with them both, give them both lots of attention, and let them know you love both of them.

Here's a TCS article that might be helpful. The last paragraph mentions how to divide your time and attention between cats.

The Multi-cat Household