Cat can't understand cat door

zcb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have tried everything to make my cat use the cat door from my bedroom to the screened patio but no luck. I've tried treats, tuna, pushing him through from in to out and out to in. He either doesn't understand what I want or he does understand and simply refuses to do it. Any suggestions?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I agree to try removing the flap from the door. I have read numerous cases where the cat just doesn't like the flap - at least at first.

duncanmac

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We have one with a magnetic bar at the bottom of the flap. I had to take that off to get the cats to use it.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I was lucky, and my Ruby girl was food obsessed when I first adopted her, so throwing treats through the cat flap door worked for her.

In your case, try either removing the flap, if possible, as has already been suggested. Or taping/tying it up, as in this video:

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'd agree with the above, removing the flap does wonders. At my house we transitioned from having the flap open to closing it after a few weeks. Its easiest when there is desire to go through the flap that overrides fear of it. In our house that was when we went on a week long vacation and my cat was stuck unless she went through the flap. Scared my house sitter to death when she was on the wrong side of the cat door but it worked. My girl spent 2 years refusing to use the door and now she grudgingly uses it when she decides she has to.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zcb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The flap can't be removed but I have put it up so he can go in and out but he still refuses to use it. Before the weather gets too hot to leave it open I'll just leave it up and hopefully he'll decide to go on through. Thanks for the suggestions.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zcb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Finally today Moo went through the already opened cat door. This is a huge step for him. It took a long time to get to this stage so maybe next stage is to actually go thru the closed one. Thanks for the advice.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That's a start. Good luck with him figuring out the flap.