Cat Can't Pee A Steady Stream But Clear Bladder

lamshinlok

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry for poor English.
My cat got urinary catheter three times in past two month, he is back from hospital 4 days now. Actually at the the third time he was being sent to hospital his bladder is clear without tiny crystal, but still can't pee with a steady steam. But the situation seems no improvement. Vet said this is due to urinary spasm, so diazepam is applied along with prazosin this time, he can pee more with diazepam.

How long will urinary last? I see from the internet that diazepam is not for long term use, any long term use cases can share with me?

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! :wave3: I'm sorry to hear that your cat has been experiencing urinary tract problems. Just out of curiosity, what type of food are you feeding him? How old is he? I thought these two Articles might be helpful for you:
Feline Lower Urinary Tract Disease (flutd)
Feline Idiopathic Cystitis - How To Improve Your Cat's Quality Of Life

I did a search and found a few threads that discussed using Diazepam for UTI:
Urine in clumped pieces, Time for a vet visit? / use of diazepam?
Pools after catheter removal?

Please don't worry about your English, you gave a good explanation of your cat's health problem. Sending good thoughts and healing vibes your way. :vibes::vibes:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lamshinlok

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for reply! At lease I have someone to talk with during the time I am seeing my cat sufferring.

He is 4 years old, he was feed dry food in the morning and steam chicken in the evening before he is sick. Then he is now on wet food, royal canin s/o only, and 250 - 300ml water. He is 6.9kg. Crystal was found by ultrasound and bacteria also. However, neither crystal & bacteria exist now. We have urine test by the vet.

I missed a word in my first post. I want to know the length of time for my cat urinary spasm to stop. My vet said its depends. I found post saying some cat never stop. I am so sad!

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
It depends on many factors.

Stress
Food
And just his body healing time

The diazepam will help greatly. Increase fluids is a must. You can ask the vet about sub skin fluids therapy. Its a way to increase fluids withiut making kitty drink tons of water. This is done at the vets or they teach you how to administer at home.

Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Subcutaneous Fluids

This site explains so many things about cat medical care.

I would stick with the timeline of using the muscle relaxers to give his body a chance to heal.

Is there any new stress in your home recently? Moving to new home? Anyone moving in or out? Changes in humans routine? Often stress is a big part of this bladder issue if no crystals found.

Also the food your vet prescribed is supposed to minimize recurrence.

Many years ago my angel Floey had crystals in pee and we cut out corn contained foods and it went away but she couldn't handle rich top of the line kibble as it made her constipated...

You mentioned bacteria was found in urine did they give him antibiotics?

lamshinlok

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He moved with me to new home in last December, and in Feb he was diagnosis with urinary inflammation, only medicine was used to bring him back to normal. The first time he went hospital for catheter was end of April. Xray check was performed, no stone in bladder, but bacteria found in urine test. Then he was sick again three weeks later, ultrasound found many tiny crystal in his bladder, so uriary catheter again. He got no bacteria this time but with some crystal residual we have to dissolve by food and rush out by plenty of water. He was not peeing well again for 8 days after that, so we sent him back to hospital. All the residual are rush out, no more crystal left. Vet said it may happen some crystal lock at the pennis, as he got only small steam when they expressed his bladder. So the 3rd catheter was performed. Vet said his bladder wall is not thick, inflammation is not severe. So his block is mainly due to spasms. Then today is the 4th day since release from hospital.

Antibiotic was given due to risk of infection after catheter. Besides antibiotics, he is given Prazosin, Diazepam, Prednisolone, Temgestic. Prednisolone is aiming to make the tissues around pennis not to swell.

What happen to his little pennis if every thing seem doing well. :(

lamshinlok

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
my cat pee in this amount, he will go 4-5 trips within 2 mins to produce this amount. Around 5 to 6 times per day. Since it is not a big one, even after catheter for three times, I am worried he won't get well....