Cat can not getup and seems to be in a shock. please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

matharaarachchi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is 3 months old. He has a skin rash and he was scratching endlessly. We were told that it is caused by some kind of tiny insect. So we applied animox lotion to his wounds about 2 times a day. But he continuously licked them clean. He began to be so weak and less active.Then he began to throw up and gave up eating. So we stopped applying that lotion. It seems to that he was in so much pain. He was sleeping all the time and crying when we try to move him. We got him to a veterinarian. Veterinarian injected him some kind of medicine and gave him saline. Now he had a seizure. He is shaking and crying without opening his eyes. And his legs are curled up and he can not standup as he was unable to straighten his legs. What can we do for him? 

(I will tell you this only because I want you to understand my situation.

You may suggest to get him to that doctor again. Believe me that so called doctors are *****. My cat was sick when he was just 1 month old. We went to that hospital that time. They gave him about 6 injections. He got worst after that. But luckily he got well again. Another time we went just to get worm pills for him. That day also they inject him saying that it will help to cure worms. So and so.... I lost faith in veterinarians in our country. Also we do not have another animal hospital nearby.) I'm terrified.

Please please please help me.

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

My cat is 3 months old. He has a skin rash and he was scratching endlessly. We were told that it is caused by some kind of tiny insect. So we applied animox lotion to his wounds about 2 times a day. But he continuously licked them clean. He began to be so weak and less active.Then he began to throw up and gave up eating. So we stopped applying that lotion. It seems to that he was in so much pain. He was sleeping all the time and crying when we try to move him. We got him to a veterinarian. Veterinarian injected him some kind of medicine and gave him saline. Now he had a seizure. He is shaking and crying without opening his eyes. And his legs are curled up and he can not standup as he was unable to straighten his legs. What can we do for him? 

(I will tell you this only because I want you to understand my situation.

You may suggest to get him to that doctor again. Believe me that so called doctors are *****. My cat was sick when he was just 1 month old. We went to that hospital that time. They gave him about 6 injections. He got worst after that. But luckily he got well again. Another time we went just to get worm pills for him. That day also they inject him saying that it will help to cure worms. So and so.... I lost faith in veterinarians in our country. Also we do not have another animal hospital nearby.) I'm terrified.

Please please please help me.
I'm so sorry. What country are you in and what's the nearest large city?  I can't diagnose your cat but its obviously very serious and he may die.  I would keep him warm and as comfortable as possible.  Recently we had a new member from Pakistan explai how terrible the vets were in her country and all her kittens recently died, the vets seemed incompetent.  If she wakes up you can try using an eye dropper or oral syringe to gently squirt a mix of sugar syrup with goat's milk into her mouth if she can swallow.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
I am so sorry to hear your kitten is so sick.  There is not much more I can say than what @StephenQ  has recommended.  He sounds like he's having a toxic reaction to something and without having a good vet nearby, I think you are going to just have to keep him hydrated and nourished while hoping the toxic substance leaves his system without doing too much damage.  

If he doesn't start to improve soon, and continues to suffer as he is, you should probably consider having him put to sleep.  I feel just awful saying that, but you don't want him to suffer any more than necessary and sometimes that is the must loving thing you can do.  

Please let us know how he does.  My heart is breaking for you and for your little guy.  I'll be thinking of you, hoping to hear he is on the mend.  

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am so sorry to hear that your little one is so ill. 

I agree with Stephen. Aside from what he advised you and/or getting a second opinion from a more qualified vet, I'm not sure if there's anything else you can do. Hopefully you have access to goat's milk.

I will keep the both of you in my thoughts. Hang in there little one. 

kommunity kats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I looked up Animox, & got links to Conzol . . . maybe the same thing?:

Manufacturer: VetOne

(Miconazole Nitrate)

Topical Antifungal Agent

ANADA #200-196, Approved by FDA.

Veterinary

For Topical Use in Dogs and Cats Only.

(YOUR CAT WAS LICKING IT OFF & LIKELY SWALLOWED IT!

SHOULD HAVE BEEN WEARING A CONE COLLAR TO PREVENT LICKING.)

Conzol Lotion 1% Caution

Federal law restricts this drug to use by or on the order of a licensed veterinarian.

Description

Conzol[emoji]8482[/emoji] is a synthetic antifungal agent for use in dogs and cats.

It contains: 1.15% miconazole nitrate (equivalent to 1% miconazole base by weight),

polyethylene glycol 400 and ethyl alcohol 55%.

https://www.drugs.com/vet/conzol-lotion-1.html

I would call for help with pet poisoning, but don't know which source you could access:

https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?p=poison+control+pets&ei=UTF-8&hspart=mozilla&hsimp=yhs-002

I'm not saying your cat is poisoned, but they should be able to tell you whether it sounds like it or not.

Last edited:

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I looked up Animox, & got links to Conzol . . . maybe the same thing?:

Manufacturer: VetOne
(Miconazole Nitrate)
Topical Antifungal Agent

ANADA #200-196, Approved by FDA.
Veterinary

For Topical Use in Dogs and Cats Only.
(YOUR CAT WAS LICKING IT OFF & LIKELY SWALLOWED IT!
SHOULD HAVE BEEN WEARING A CONE COLLAR TO PREVENT LICKING.)

Conzol Lotion 1% Caution

Federal law restricts this drug to use by or on the order of a licensed veterinarian.

Description

Conzol[emoji]8482[/emoji] is a synthetic antifungal agent for use in dogs and cats.
It contains: 1.15% miconazole nitrate (equivalent to 1% miconazole base by weight),
polyethylene glycol 400 and ethyl alcohol 55%.
https://www.drugs.com/vet/conzol-lotion-1.html

I would call for help with pet poisoning, but don't know which source you could access:
https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?p=poison+control+pets&ei=UTF-8&hspart=mozilla&hsimp=yhs-002
I'm not saying your cat is poisoned, but they should be able to tell you whether it sounds like it or not.

I think Kommunity Kats nailed it. It sounds like toxicity. Please call poison control!

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

matharaarachchi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all for your help and suggestions. Animox is a composition of povidone lodine and citronella oil as it says in the label and it says it is a certified product. It is sort of like betadine.He drinks water only he throwsup if we give anything other than that. So we mixed some sugar syrup to his water. He is conscious but still has his hands and legs curled up. I do not want to give up on him.

matharaarachchi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think you may be right. What can I give him to reduce it?

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here's what I found about the iodine.  it's not much but all I found.  Good luck!

How is she doing now??  Can you give the sugar water to her?  

Thanks for the information. You can use this product externally on cats. Licking a small amount of it will most likely not cause any issues. It may cause mild inflammation in the mouth. If they ingest large amounts of it, then there could be a problem. If using it on her, you may want to put a cone collar on her or place a loose bandage around the area treated to prevent licking. She would have to consume a large amount to be toxic, though. Please let me know if you have any other questions. Hope this helps.

matharaarachchi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He is gone. We even got him to see a new vet. But he said there's nothing we can do to help him. Thank you for your suggestions. Goat milk helps him as its the only that kept him that long. He was unconscious for 4 days. There was nothing we haven't done for him. Then suddenly he was just...

I'm sorry for keep you waiting. I just couldn't do anything without reminding if him. I can't believe that he is not here anymore.

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Omg I'm so sorry!!  

He was such a little cutie pie.  

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh poor tiny little baby! I'm so sorry you lost him, especially when he was so young. It's very tough when you don't know what's wrong and you can't get trustworthy help.

This thread will be closed now as per TCS policy. You might consider posting a tribute to him on our Bridge forum. It's a good place to get support and understanding when we've lost our furry friends.

Status
Not open for further replies.