Cat can eat herself sick

Starosa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is female, spayed, and 3 years old. I got her when she was 6 weeks old. She was spayed at 8 weeks.

She had gotten enormously overweight. She was so much so that she’d just lay by her bowl and tilt her head into it to eat. Walking would cause her to tire out. She was unmotivated to play so it was very hard to get her moving. Dieting seemed like the only answer. The vet was very concerned and said if she wasn’t out on a diet she’d probably die in the next 2-3 years tops.

So, I stopped free feeding her.

I bought an automatic feeder. Initially, I set it to dispense A LOT of food. Over the next year I cut back until she was within the recommended feeding guide from the food bag.

She’s lost a substantial amount of weight. She’s still a little overweight but the vet is really happy with her progress.

She has so much energy. She’s like a completely different cat!

She’s unhappy though.

I’ve bought her a lot of different toys and gadgets. I’ve spent time not only petting her but playing with her. She’ll even play fetch, believe it or not!

The meowing though.

She meows all day and night long. She’s strains her “voice” often.

What does she want?

Food.

Food!

She’s ripped into a 10lb bag of cat kibble and gorged herself until she’s vomited. Then continued to eat. She ate/puked the entire, new bag while I was grocery shopping. I wish I was kidding.

So, I moved the bag to an airtight pet food container. While I was visiting my dad one weekend she busted open the container and ate it all again.

She’s busted open her food dispenser one night too. I woke up soon enough that she didn’t get to do the eat-vomit-eat cycle though.

She ripped open numerous cat treat bags and ate everything inside.

She’s ripped into loaves of bread and ate it in the middle of the night.

Yesterday I bought another bag of her cat food. I sat it by the door while I was doing some things. Within 10 minutes she had ripped it open and began to chow down.

I fostered a kitten (10-12 weeks old) when my cat was about 6 months old. She tried to kill the kitten. She’s hold the kitten by the throat merciless while the kitten screamed. Each time, I’d have to break them apart and the kitten would be bloody. My friend witnessed it one day and also said she was concerned for the kitten’s life. I decided that putting the kitten’s life at risk wasn’t okay and quit as a foster.
So, getting a second cat is a little scary to consider. I’ve seen what she can do to cat food bags, I have all of the confidence that she could kill another cat if she wanted.

What am I supposed to do?

I don’t think it’s normal that she’s so good driven.

My husband says maybe she needs another cat to basically speak cat” with her. That toys and petting can’t replace “a friend”. But I’m truly afraid she’d try to kill it too. And I just can’t see how she wouldn’t eat all food available. She inhales the food so fast and is really aggressive if you get too close to the food while she’s eating.

strider rose

cat toy lady and cat mom to 3
Top Cat
Purraise
perhaps lessen how much she eats ? take away the automatic feeder and put her food in a bowl with a small portion ?

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like kibble is her primary food and some cats gain weight easily on it because it is high carbohydrate. I would switch her to a high quality wet food and feed her two or three meals a day. Wet food is higher in protein and she may feel more satisfied on it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Starosa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It sounds like kibble is her primary food and some cats gain weight easily on it because it is high carbohydrate. I would switch her to a high quality wet food and feed her two or three meals a day. Wet food is higher in protein and she may feel more satisfied on it.
Yes, she eats mostly dry kibble. This one (“Blue Buffalo Wilderness High Protein, Natural Adult Weight Control Dry Cat Food”):

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B87GRB0

Is there a recommended wet food that works well with weight management?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. In addition to gradually replacing much of her dry food with canned food, I would also recommend - if she hasn't had one recently - a full scope blood panel be done. Despite her young age, she could still have any number of issues going on that is causing the ravenous hunger. Diabetes or poor absorption of food in her digestive tract, just to name a couple. Enzyme/chemical/nutritional imbalances can cause all sorts of issues.

Multiple, smaller portion, meals a day might also be something to consider. For example, if you feed her 3 times a day now, maybe make it 4, 5, or even 6 times with lesser amounts. And, you can buy slow feeder dishes for both dry and canned food.

How long did it take her to lose this 'substantial' amount of weight? If you did it too fast, not only can the wreak havoc on her body physically, it can play a factor in her mental adaptation to lesser amounts of food.

I would work on continuing to pursue her eating issues before bringing in another cat as a playmate.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
My girl had weight issues in the past and I switched her to wet food, not specifically weight management food. I look at the ingredients and go for Pate with protein 10% or higher. Fancy feast pate is reasonably good and not expensive but check out your local pet store.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How much dry food are you feeding? Dry foods are pretty (empty) calorie dense so in theory a measured cup full should be more than enough calories the cat needs in a day. But empty calories don't keep tummies satiated for very long. Cats who don't get enough calories daily will exhibit hangry behavior and scream constantly for food and dig through your trash can and look on the counters for any food to eat.

Can you add canned food to the diet? Maybe do a 50/50 diet of canned and dry? You'll need to feed enough of both to meet the cat's calorie needs. You don't need any kind of weight management food. Just feed roughly 20 to 25 calories per pound of ideal body weight daily. Calorie content of food is listed on the label as kcal. Ignore the feeding instructions on the label. Pet food companies typically over inflate how much to feed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Starosa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’m looking into wet cat food for her. I’m heading out to Petco to see what’s in stock. As you can tell, she isn’t a picky eater at all. Though, I’m not sure how to make the switch from dry to wet gradually yet.

Today she jumped on the kitchen counter, ripped into a bag, and ate 3 entire hamburger buns (just the bread) and a part of a 4th before I caught her (she was being too quiet so I figured she was up to something). She definitely wanted that 4th bun, and hissed, growled, and swiped at me when I caught her and took the rest. I can’t even eat that much bread in one sitting. This is insanity to me!

I’m going to make a vet appointment to have her checked out. I feel like something has to be massively wrong for her to eat this much and be so food driven. A cat shouldn’t be able to out-eat a human. She lost her weight (still a little overweight) over the course of the past year. The vet has only praised this, never indicating that it was happening too fast or putting her at risk for any condition.

I wish I had never free-fed her like I did. I feel like I’ve ruined such a large amount of her life. Now, she’s just obsessed with food. Meowing until she’s hoarse. Licking the floors. Ripping into containers and bags, eating everything accessible until she vomits...but still not stopping. Aggressive if she thinks you might try to take her food or something (she wasn’t at all like that before).

Part of me questions if she was always “hungry” though. She ate very frequently, kind of like “grazing” all day long. Honestly, she was already overweight by the time she was about 6-8 months old. I remember making a stupid excuse to myself that I had read before that free-feeding kittens up until 1 year was good for them. So, I stupidly just carried on. And when the vet talked about it they didn’t seem too concerned until about a year ago, when they said they were surprised she didn’t have any conditions but we’re sure she wouldn’t live more than 2 years more, 3 if I got really lucky. And now here we are. Am I just making her miserable at this point? What have I done

Thank you to everyone who took the time to reply to try to help.