Cat Can And Can’t Vomit

Svenja_hel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi you guys,

I‘m a little worried about my 5 month old cat Nero. Yesterday when we came home at about 5pm, he had to vomit and it looked as if the food (breakfast/lunch) had been digested, colour white(ish). We fed them a little „linner“ cause they seemed to be very hungry, then we went out again. All seemed to be fine, but when we came home at about 8:30 pm he was still feeling unwell and made these weird coughing noises. As if there was something trying to come out, but he wouldn’t let it. They had their dinner and he ate with good appetite. About an hour later, he then spat out his dinner, seemingly unchewed and undigested. He kept „trying to vomit“ until about 2am, then I couldn’t help it anymore and fell asleep. When I woke up this morning at 9, he was still making these noises, but without anything coming out. He will just sit still from time to time, bow down and try to vomit. Sometimes a little white foam-like puke comes out. We fed his brother only, then Nero ate like 2 tiny chunks of leftovers from the bowl. They came back out immediately.
Apart from this weird almost-vomiting behavior, he seems totally fine, just a little tired. But he chases feather toys, his brother and my fingers. He has appetite and drinks from the tap as usual. He purrs and cuddles, he’s alert and responses when being called, with clear eyes and silky-as-always fur. I also had a look into his throat but couldnt see anything unusual like redness or maybe something stuck. His gums are pink. His brother is absolutely healthy.
I just now watched him puke out some clear fluid and something lightish before which he swallowed back down before it could reach my carpet. He has stopped gagging, at least for the last 30 minutes.
Now from what I know or have experienced so far, he is trying to puke our an hairball... but he’s obviously having trouble with it.
I tried „lubricating” the whole process with a little chunk of butter which he didn’t want, a sip of high quality olive oil which he didn’t want either. I also went outside and got him some proper grass, but guess what - he rejected it as well. Just like the proper cat grass he has available. He did like to chew on my little rose bouquet in the kitchen the last few days though. He never chewed on the roses themselves, but on these weird decorative thin grass things (sorry, I hope you know what I mean).
We have a vet appointment in the morning (neuter day), so if he gets worse, the vet will be able to check on him. Even if it will delay his neutering!

Do you have any other ideas how I could help him? Or have you experienced this kind of behaviour with one of your kitties before?

Thank you in advance!
Svenja

Attachments

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am glad he has a vet visit soon. I know some cats have gotten blades of grass or such stuck in their throat and that can cause problems. Maybe something like that? The vet should be able to tell, and get it out. Do keep us updated on him!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Svenja_hel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your reply. With that last vomiting, he spat out a long piece of grass - most likely from the flower bouquet in my kitchen. He has since then (about 3 hours ago) been his normal self - tired, but playful, and he ate a little bowl of his favorite dry food and drank from the tab. No gagging, no puking, no coughing.
I think that maybe this exact very thin grassy thing has been stuck in his throat, triggering his gag reflex, making him feel sick. I hope the spook’s over now!!

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was going to suggest that some of the "decorative grass" may have gotten stuck, it's happen to my cat before too. Seems like he got it out though. :yess:

Otherwise, when it comes to hairballs, if this does become an issue, I use either hairball paste or we also have Hairball treats we give them regularly and it keeps them at bay.

Sending you good wishes for a speedy recovery on the neuter!!!!:heartshape:

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad he got it out. Often they can, but sometimes it take help from the vet! Hopefully everything is good from now on! :clapcat:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Svenja_hel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks duckpond and Jem, for the answers and the good wishes!
:purr:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree, I would try hairball paste or treats every other day.