Cat Came Home From The Vet, Made Progress, Doesn't Seem To Be Getting Better.

Jaimester88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey all,

So this morning me and my mom brought our four year old cat to the vet. She hadn't eaten or pooped in 3 days. She was clearly lethargic and dehydrated but was taking in very minimal water. We had a full workup done and got radiographs as well and she was clearly extremely constipated.
She was given SQ fluids, a shot for anti nausea and an enema ... and the pooping adventure began. She continued popping for quite a while on an off for several hours, and of course we were quite happy about that, but we realized she still wasn't eating or drinking water. She comes to the water bowl and looks at it like she really wants to drink and then just looks up at us and meows.
Our other cat had this happen in January and as soon as the poop happened she bounced back quickly and is 3+ years older that her daughter whom I'm referring to in this post. It's very clear that she's uncomfortable is pacing around trying to find a comfortable spot and she's plopped down she won't move and it's quite frightening.
Our Vet said to wait and see how things move along and if she hasn't gotten any better in 2/3 days to bring her back, but this is really scaring us and we are at a loss on what to do. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Welcome, even under the circumstances!
I'm so sorry this is happening - would you consider talking with another vet? Depending on what the vet says, then;

Can you syringe feed her?
Questions About Syringe Feeding

There are recipes on the internet for a couple of things that can help get her hydrated and help to replace some of the nutrients, below.

Sometimes finger feeding is the only thing that works, either sitting on the floor with her and literally scooping a little food onto your finger, or gently tucking a little bit of food into her cheeks.

Try making this;
tent test for dehydration and home-made pedialyte recipe - The Daily Kitten

Also, try making one of these;
Kitten Glop Recipes - Supplementing Cats and Kittens with nutritious formula you make at home: presented by Bengal Cat breeder Foothill Felines. --This website has a number of kitten glop recipes, with ingredients that you may very well have in your house.

These can be used on their own or combined with food. Also, if you heat the food a little - stir it so there aren't any hot spots from the microwave. Or you could heat some water, about a tablespoon, and add that to canned food. A small glass works to stir it all up.
  • Chicken, beef or ham flavored baby food such as Gerber Stage 2 - make sure there is no garlic or onions in the ingredients
  • Tuna and/or the juice, a low mercury/low/no sodium brand is called SafeCatch
  • Salmon, mackerel
  • Sardines (make sure there are no bones)
  • boiled cut up chicken or turkey with no seasonings
  • canned kitten food any brand - it's usually smelly. See if it's eaten on its own, then maybe mix it in or put on top
  • Try mixing in Kitten Milk Replacer - there are recipes on the internet or store bought
  • Fish, tuna or BBQ flavored canned wet food (I personally have never seen BBQ flavors, but...)
  • Lickable cat treats or pouch treat 'gravy' poured over the food
  • kitten glop (recipes in website link above)
  • Bonito flakes
  • fortiflora
  • fish oil
  • green beans, asparagus mushed up
  • goat milk, or no lactose cow milk
  • whole cooked eggs (the white must always be cooked) or raw egg yolk now and then
  • broth with no salt and no garlic or onion or seasonings of any kind
  • There are also commercial toppers, Applaws is a brand that can work well as a topper
  • Some good treats would be freeze dried Purebites, Orijen, Meowtinis, Meowables
  • There are also Lickimats that you could spread types of soft food onto, even plain unflavored yogurt, and even freeze it. Licking something can help a cat to feel better emotionally The LickiMat - Food Puzzles for Cats
  • shredded cheddar cheese
  • chamomile tea, made from the little bags only, a couple cooled teaspoons a couple times a day in water or food, can help calm a stressed cat

basschick

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
sometimes an enema can be uncomfortable and leave a cat - or a human - feeling like they have to poop. and if the vet was a little rough, that could be worse.

in the meantime, have you tried offering your cat juice from a can of tuna or fancy feast? or just a can of fancy feast shredded? i know fancy feast isn't popular here, but cats love it, and getting your kitty to lap up the juice or even eat some of the food would be very important.

i'm curious - do you feed your cats wet food? and have you tried giving them bottled or filtered water?

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When they get fluids, they may not need to drink water, but if she's going to the water bowl, most likely she is still experiencing some kind of nausea or tummy upset. Cats will drink excessive water to calm their tummies when nauseous. I would ask the vet for more antacid or something to calm the tummy. For food, offer small servings of plain meat baby food or some really stinky wet food.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she has a favorite room, I would keep her quiet as possible.
Enemas aren't always the prettiest or easiest thing for all involved and she may just be really, really sore.
If she doesn't improve, I would call the vet and describe what's happening with her. If you and your Mom are unimpressed with their reaction a second opinion doesn't hurt.
Has the mother cat been fixed by chance? It's interesting that she had this happen, then her grown kitten had the same thing happen. There could possibly be a mild structural problem that is causing this in the line.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jaimester88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok so we are now in the next day... she seems a little more with it and is holding herself up better. The pooping calmed down significantly but remaining steady. I'm trying a few different options but she is still showing little to no interest. She is also still going to the water bowl and just hovering over it. I saw take in a couple laps earlier today but it's not nearly as much as would make me feel more comfortable. The journey continues. Thank you all for your great suggestions I'm gonna keep you all updated as things move forward.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok so we are now in the next day... she seems a little more with it and is holding herself up better. The pooping calmed down significantly but remaining steady. I'm trying a few different options but she is still showing little to no interest. She is also still going to the water bowl and just hovering over it. I saw take in a couple laps earlier today but it's not nearly as much as would make me feel more comfortable. The journey continues. Thank you all for your great suggestions I'm gonna keep you all updated as things move forward.
Welcome Jaimester88 Jaimester88 and family to TCS! Other posters have given excellent suggestions and I don't really have anything to add, except to welcome you and offer *Prayers* and best thoughts of wellbeing and recuperation for your cat. It does seem strange that this is the second time this has happened in your family. Do your cats go outdoors? And do they eat a wet-food diet with plenty of fresh water provided? Though cats are much more discerning than dogs, it's not beyond the realm of possibility for them to have ingested something they shouldn't. This is mystifying. I do hope you can persuade her to eat! and yes, a second opinion wouldn't be a bad thing if you are able and willing. Please keep us up to date, won't you?

Vanna234

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello and sorry about your situation. If you think that your kitty is not drinking enough water try bying broth at a store(the one that is for pets NOT for humans). Fancy feast has some of those they come in “bag” like containers and they also have meat in there. If the kitty is not eating try canned food especially ones that contain tuna. Tuna is super smelly and that can trigger your cat’s appetite. Also try warming the canned food to make it super smelly maybe that will help?
I hope she bounces back to her happy self again.
If she doesn’t get better a second opinion would be a good choice.
Keep us updated