Cat calming spray experiences and recommendations? Cat becoming increasingly hard to get to the vet

Serenityinaz12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've never tried any of these sprays can anyone tell me what ones they recommend in reference to getting their cat in a carrier to go to the vet? My cat is practically impossible to get ahold of when he can tell it's vet time and it is so incredibly stressful trying to accomplish this.

Also, how do you use it? Spray in the carrier as well as somewhere else before attempting to put him in? How long before? Any tips appreciated

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never tried any of these sprays can anyone tell me what ones they recommend in reference to getting their cat in a carrier to go to the vet? My cat is practically impossible to get ahold of when he can tell it's vet time and it is so incredibly stressful trying to accomplish this.

Also, how do you use it? Spray in the carrier as well as somewhere else before attempting to put him in? How long before? Any tips appreciated
Even for my small 7 pd cat she has a huge carrier from Petco. Much harder for her to grab the sides. Also,if you have a walk in closet leave the carrier in there. They will hide as soon as they hear it. Be sure to make the appt after they eat so they will be less active.

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise

I've tried the Comfort Zone and the Comfort Zone with Feliway and honestly don't think either did any good. I did recently buy a Comfort Zone collar for my oldest cat because she is so moody and after wearing it a while she is less grumpy and hissy. The sprays you are supposed to spray a towel or blanket and wait a little bit and then snuggle them in it. I would read the article listed. Good luck!

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you know that it is scientifically proven that no cough syrup on the market actually does *anything* to make anyone feel better? They are as good as a placebo, a colored liquid that does nothing. Yet millions of parents buy them for their kids every year. This happens because people don't bother to check the evidence, and because OTC human drugs are not regulated for efficacy. Cat products are regulated even less. Millions and possibly billions of dollars just thrown away on literal garbage. Sure, there might be a few products that work a bit, some folks on here recommend products that may have pharmacologically active ingredients, but in general, save your money! Folks that sell these products like Jackson Galaxy are neither scientists nor saints, trust if you like, if you don't need the money for something that will actually do something.

The best recommendation would be to leave the carrier out days before the vet visit, or permanently, and throw treats in there. If need be, you can start with treats placed just outside, and gradually move the treats inside the carrier over a few days. That works well for most people. In an emmergency, a double sized cat carrier with an opening on the top is known to be easier to deal with. Getting a feisty angry cat into a regular sized carrier without a top opening is super hard and unpleasant for everyone.

If the problem is severe, some vets will give gabapentin to be used before a vet visit.