Cat Burn Scab Healing Slowly And Ugly

Lenox

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello,

First time poster.

My girlfriend's cat got a burn from a radiator. Per some internet searches, apparently this is actually quite common in NYC. That radiator has since been covered. I'm curious if it's normal for the scab to take weeks to heal and to look so ugly and painful as it heals?

The cat has already been to the vet. The vet said the cat was fine. I can submit a pic when I get home. It just doesn't seem right. The scab does seem like it's about to fall off...but sheesh. The cat acts as if nothing happened. No pain. Never licks the wound.

My GF is thinking to take her cat to the vet again.

Lenox

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Burns do look horrible as they are healing. On ANY living thing. If there is no pus or swelling around the burn site, it is most likely fine, especially as it isn't bothering him. Now, that said, you can certainly have it checked just to make sure. It will, if nothing else, put your gf's mind at rest, and make your life far easier!

I hate that your cat was hurt, but yes, it is fairly common. People don't think about those radiators. Don't blame yourself overly much, you have it covered now!

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I understand completely how easily that can happen - not because of my cats, but because once when I had back pain I made myself a hot water bottle and took it to bed to put on my back - woke up to find my arm resting on it and MASSIVE blisters and pain because I'd burned myself on it.

I make sure there are towels on my radiators so that the cats can lie on them safely (because it makes me think of my hot water bottle incident), and I bought myself a hot water bottle cover to protect both myself and my cats in bed.

I hope your cat will be ok, headrubs and kisses from me and my kitty crew :)

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Manuka honey can help with burns but you have to get medical grade, not just random jar of honey at the store. It keeps the burn a little moist and promotes healing. But burns will look worse before they get better. Take a picture each day so you can compare over time, the comparison over time really does help for perspective. You can also send photos to your vet to get opinions on if you need to go back in.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lenox

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Burns do look horrible as they are healing. On ANY living thing. If there is no pus or swelling around the burn site, it is most likely fine, especially as it isn't bothering him. Now, that said, you can certainly have it checked just to make sure. It will, if nothing else, put your gf's mind at rest, and make your life far easier!

I hate that your cat was hurt, but yes, it is fairly common. People don't think about those radiators. Don't blame yourself overly much, you have it covered now!
Manuka honey can help with burns but you have to get medical grade, not just random jar of honey at the store. It keeps the burn a little moist and promotes healing. But burns will look worse before they get better. Take a picture each day so you can compare over time, the comparison over time really does help for perspective. You can also send photos to your vet to get opinions on if you need to go back in.
Thanks for the responses! Vet already said she was healing OK.

Lenox

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I understand completely how easily that can happen - not because of my cats, but because once when I had back pain I made myself a hot water bottle and took it to bed to put on my back - woke up to find my arm resting on it and MASSIVE blisters and pain because I'd burned myself on it.

I make sure there are towels on my radiators so that the cats can lie on them safely (because it makes me think of my hot water bottle incident), and I bought myself a hot water bottle cover to protect both myself and my cats in bed.

I hope your cat will be ok, headrubs and kisses from me and my kitty crew :)
Yikes! Now there's a full wooden cover. Thanks for the reply.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Don't be a stranger just because she's doing fine! You have a community of cat lovers now, and we're happy to answer any and all questions, or just engage in silly conversations!

Lenox

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Don't be a stranger just because she's doing fine! You have a community of cat lovers now, and we're happy to answer any and all questions, or just engage in silly conversations!
OK, thanks. I appreciate it. I'm going to upload a photo tonight if I remember. As of a day or so ago, the patch no longer swells/puffs out. So, that's good at least. And there was never any puss. Hopefully she's back to having normal-looking fur soon enough.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yep. That's actually a pretty normal looking scab for a severe burn. Bless her kitty heart! I know it almost killed you and your girlfriend. We try so hard to give them a happy, safe life, then something slips by us and we're just...smooshed. But she looks as if she is recovering well. The scab will come off when it does. The deeper the burn, the longer it will take, as they have to heal both from the inside out, AND across the top.

Lenox

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am posting this update so that it may help someone else. My apologies if too graphic. Images to follow throughout my posts.

IMG_20180305_000439.jpg
image-20180303_203403.jpg
image-20180303_202705.jpg

These three photos represent what her wound/scab had looked like for the last 10 days or so (last Vet visit).

Last night at 7:45 PM, Mookie was laying on her blanket on the couch as normal. I got home and hadn't even per her yet. All of a sudden, she starts bleeding from her wound (her shifting opened the scab??). At first, just a bit got on the blanket and then the couch cushion, but eventually it was a stream going down her side, to the carpet, and on my hand.

We rinsed her off gently and put a white T-shirt on her to stop/contain the bleeding. It worked well. It was dry by morning.

(As you can imagine, we were trying to handle the situation so I didn't take any photos of the bleeding.)

Lenox

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry for the split posts. I didn't want to accidentally lose my post since I'm doing this from a phone.

9:00 am this morning:

2nd vet visit for wound. The vet says the wound smells very badly, something I had noticed a couple days earlier. Then almost immediately, he tears off most of the scab/dead skin with his hand and cuts off the remaining piece with a surgical scissor (yikes!!). He says the skin is dead and serves no purpose. He then very thoroughly cleans off the skin underneath with some wipes.

Mookie started licking near the wound, so we were given a come for her head. She's already learned to eat with it (phew).

When I left for work this morning, she looked like this:

image-20180306_103647.jpg

Lenox

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Skip the following two images of squeamish:

image-20180306_101636.jpg

Hmm, 2nd image too large.

Lenox

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Surgery Friday to close the wound. And then a 1-time antibiotic shot. The option we didn't take was to clean the wound daily for a few weeks and let it heal naturally.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Poor baby. My vet has done the pull off scab and remove dead thing before too. Its so unexpected that it can be a shock. The good news is that with the dead skin off she should be healing up better.

Lenox

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Poor baby. My vet has done the pull off scab and remove dead thing before too. Its so unexpected that it can be a shock. The good news is that with the dead skin off she should be healing up better.
That's good to hear. I didn't know it would heal better. Thanks.

Ouchie! Did the vet provide you with some pain meds for Mookie?
No. That's the strange thing. Mookie was in no pain or discomfort. Had we opted for the non-surgical option we would have received additional supplies.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish cats could fill out a pain questionnaire and really let us know their pain levels!
:dunno:

Anyway, no antibiotics until Friday's surgery, you said? :dunno:

Sending Mookie lots of healing vibes!
:vibes: :vibes: :vibes: (three's a charm for the Vibes smileys!)