Cat bullying

lynnc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have three cats but my problem lies with two of them.  My older cat, Maggie is 7 1/2 years old.  About a year and a half ago a cat showed up on my door step and I took her in.  I tried to find her people, ad in news paper, went door to door, and the like with no luck.  To make a long story short she adopted me.  I named her Callie.  Maggie was not too happy with the whole thing but I thought she would get used to it.  As time went by things went from hissing and spitting to growling and fighting.  Now Maggie seems to be terrified of Callie.  Maggie has even started pooping outside of the litter box.  I even put a litter box in my bedroom which is where Maggie hides most of the time.  I don't know what to do.  I have grown very fond of Callie and don't want to get rid of her.  My third cat, Sarah, is about six and fights back when Callie tries to bully her.  Amy suggestions?

dandila

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How long has this been going on?  When did you first take Callie in?  How did you introduce them in the beginning?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lynnc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
​Hello Dandila;

This has been going on almost from the start.  Some days they will ignore each other and then it will start up again with Maggie seeming afraid to come out of the bedroom and when she does Callie will chase her back.  I got Callie just over a year and a half ago and when she came into my apartment all three cats were together. 

Again I ask, any thoughts?

dandila

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think what may have happened is that both Maggie and Callie wanted to be the boss and have been jockeying for control of the territory (your house) and now Callie has finally won the battle.

Since Maggie was there first it is my opinion that she gets priority.  If you think she's going to be more comfortable in a room of her own then I would give her that and keep the door closed so she can feel safe.  Put lots of things that she likes in there and I would even feed her in there.  A cat tower would be a nice gesture.  Something she can call her own.  Also, be sure to go in to visit her first upon arriving home.  If she gets to sleep with you and the others don't, all the better.

It isn't an ideal solution to your problem, I know but it will work and if you want to try to reintroduce them slowly at a later date you could try.  Some cats just can't live peacefully with other cats.

Almost forgot to mention there is a really good article on this site about cat introductions.

Last edited: