Cat bully

Twinkster

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
our 2 cats have pretty much always been together . They both where brought up from SC to MA when they where about 2 months old .then we adopted them together. They where in the same crate at the rescue etc. We got them Jan 2022. we went through a lot that first year. 1 was very sick, the other got loose out of the house. Our daughter moved out.

Last month Twink was licking her fur to the skin the vet said it was stress and gave her a steroid shot and it all healed and grew back.

Well I have also noticed over the last month Rosie has become a huge bully. Twink is still having problems , she still won't use the box for #2, is on constant alert.
How the heck do you train a cat to not be a bully. I am so worried about twink. i am afraid Rosie will hurt her. I try to give twink alone time so she can breath and not be worried , but then i feel bad that I am leaving Rosie alone.

They are both still young , this must be Rosie trying to assert herself as TOP cat. I think it is unacceptable behavior . Could my daughter moving out last month also have triggered the bully behavior in Rosie?

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It could align with your daughter moving out. Rosie now has less attention with one less human and is taking that energy out on Twink.

Play will be very important for both building confidence in Twink and for getting that extra energy out of Rosie.

Some shelters put random kittens together to play but it doesn't mean they are bonded. You could try a re-introduction to see if you can't move towards a better relationship for them.

If you see Rosie bullying over the litter box, you should pick her up and move her away. If she returns a second time, move her away and close her in a room until Twink comes out. You are teaching her to leave him alone. You could also just stand and gently but firmly hold her.

Do you have a litter box per cat plus one? Are they in different areas of your home? It's hard for a cat to "guard" 3 areas at once. You may need to make some compromise and move some things around.

I'll post some resources here:
Think Like a Cat:Reintroduction Method | Pam Johnson-Bennett

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
In addition to your daughter moving out, Twink also received that steroid shot. Although, I have never heard of that causing a cat to smell differently, maybe it does and that is what Rosie is reacting to. Or maybe it is causing Twink's poop to smell differently since it seems that is when Rosie is mostly bothering Twink. If either of these were to be the case, the good news it will dissipate over time and might help reduce Rosie's bullying.

How does Twink manage to use the litter box for peeing, but is on constant alert for pooping? Just curious if you can pick up on anything that is different in that regard.

What other times is Rosie being a bully, and what is going on then?

RTR

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I.m assuming they are spade? I have five cat trees 3 cats two males, and the female who is tiny rules the house! Ha! They have 4 litter boxes in seperate locations. If things were tighter I know my female would terrorize the two bigger males! They have their owns spaces to keep seperate if they want! Ages female 14 males brothers 12, and I let them settle any little squabbles they haave from time to time ,and it all works out! good luck.........

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I have two males, both 14 years old, together since they were kittens. One is definitely a bully, and I see the other one starting to withdraw a little now where he didn't used to. I recently took them to the Vet to make sure there was no health issue, particularly for the one who is withdrawing a little bit, and while there I discussed the bullying. Our Vet asked us a LOT of questions about it, and advised that we actually give the bullying cat more attention. I know it seems contrary to what you would think, but she said, at least in our case, that we need to feed him first, pander to him first, etc, to see if that stops some of the chasing and attacking. Definitely NOT how you would treat a child, but cats are not children ;)

And for the one who is withdrawing, he has his own little hidey hole set up in our closet. It's actually one of the cat carriers with the door removed and some soft towels inside for comfort. He seems to love it and whenever I can't find him, that's where I look. I take him treats in there, and he'll usually pop out with his tail up in the air and join the rest of the household then.

Last edited:

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
~ My cat Big Boy recently decided to become " Big Bully" to a few of the others. ( I have 9 ) Seems he is now possessive for some reason.
Broad spectrum CBD oil has helped greatly. I correct his behavior and give him a little more attention also.
Cat psychology can be complicated ... :bigeyes: 🤔?

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
our 2 cats have pretty much always been together . They both where brought up from SC to MA when they where about 2 months old .then we adopted them together. They where in the same crate at the rescue etc. We got them Jan 2022. we went through a lot that first year. 1 was very sick, the other got loose out of the house. Our daughter moved out.

Last month Twink was licking her fur to the skin the vet said it was stress and gave her a steroid shot and it all healed and grew back.

Well I have also noticed over the last month Rosie has become a huge bully. Twink is still having problems , she still won't use the box for #2, is on constant alert.
How the heck do you train a cat to not be a bully. I am so worried about twink. i am afraid Rosie will hurt her. I try to give twink alone time so she can breath and not be worried , but then i feel bad that I am leaving Rosie alone.

They are both still young , this must be Rosie trying to assert herself as TOP cat. I think it is unacceptable behavior . Could my daughter moving out last month also have triggered the bully behavior in Rosie?
Trying clicker training Rosie. Your cats are teenagers so their personality will change. I have a territorial,sociable,and timid cat. Also Twink could be stressed. Make sure she has places to jump high. My cats Maggie and Peaches do not get along so I play with them separately. I occasionally watch my cats use the litter box

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Twinkster

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Trying clicker training Rosie. Your cats are teenagers so their personality will change. I have a territorial,sociable,and timid cat. Also Twink could be stressed. Make sure she has places to jump high. My cats Maggie and Peaches do not get along so I play with them separately. I occasionally watch my cats use the litter box
I like the idea if clicker training , I did that with our dogs when they were alive. I did try sith the kittens but it was last year and I couldn't hold Rosie's attention. I should try again. My theory is Rosie is very high energy and very bored, and twink is very shy and easily stressed.