Cat Brothers Fighting? Please Help!

cat lover 360

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm ready quite worried and don't know what to do. I have two cats who are litter mates and 2.5.
They normally get on famously, grooming each other and curling next to each other to sleep.
Tonight I was woken up at three am with fighting. First it's been Jasper who would trill and then go and try to bite buddy's neck and buddy would swipe at them which made Jasper jump back and make a lot of noise. Buddy has done it a few times back. Kasper is also following buddy around and trying to bite his neck. There was a break of around ten minutes where they sat together and groomed each other but they're back at it. When Jasper goes to move towards Buddy buddy likes down on the ground. They've been like this for three hours and I need to leave for university. I'm terrified to leave them alone in case it escalates.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cat lover 360

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Jasper isn't. I did think it may have been due to that. He is due to get neutered soon

cat lover 360

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is it safe to leave them? He's never acted like this before.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Jasper isn't. I did think it may have been due to that. He is due to get neutered soon
I am not an expert on this, but I know that when a cat reaches sexual maturity, hormones often lead to sudden aggression. It is always recommended that cats be neutered at a much earlier stage. It can also be an issue about territory, among other factors. It is best that a vet check be also done to rule out any health issues.

The only option I can think of right now is to separate them, and conduct another re-introduction.

I hope our other TCS members can also provide some advice.

cat lover 360

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am not an expert on this, but I know that when a cat reaches sexual maturity, hormones often lead to sudden aggression. It is always recommended that cats be neutered at a much earlier stage. It can also be an issue about territory, among other factors. It is best that a vet check be also done to rule out any health issues.

The only option I can think of right now is to separate them, and conduct another re-introduction.

I hope our other TCS members can also provide some advice.
Unfortunately there is no way for me to separate them. My doors don't close over fully and so they're able to push them open. They're sleeping next to each other now and have been grooming each other on and off all night. I'm just nervous to leave them. There's been no actual biting just made attempts to bite the neck. There's no scratches and no hair missing that I can see. Buddy was giving as good as he got. I I have to leave for university in an hour and I'm nervous of leaving them.

cat lover 360

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just to update, I've separated them until I came back from university and I'm on hold to make an appointment at the vets now. He should get seen within two weeks.

cat lover 360

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just to further update, when I came home o let Jasper out and have been supervising them all night. They are back to cuddling and grooming each other and I've witnessed no more aggressive behaviour. Jasper is back to his cuddly self but I will monitor the situation for a while yet.