Cat Broken Leg- I'm Not Coping

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jelly1995

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all. Been a tough few months but I’m back to give an update. Been a rollercoaster ride with my boy, infections, x rays, diarrhoea, the lot! He’s on a slow path to recovery, finally off cage rest and limping around, he is still in pain even all these months later :( . At this point I feel he may have the limp always but it’s so endearing.

There’s a shortage of animal anaesthetic in the uk at the moment so he’s unable to have another x ray as hes not an emergency case, but I can’t wait for him to get the all clear soon hopefully.

I hope all you wonderful souls and your feline friends are well. Xxx

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi all. Been a tough few months but I’m back to give an update. Been a rollercoaster ride with my boy, infections, x rays, diarrhoea, the lot! He’s on a slow path to recovery, finally off cage rest and limping around, he is still in pain even all these months later :( . At this point I feel he may have the limp always but it’s so endearing.

There’s a shortage of animal anaesthetic in the uk at the moment so he’s unable to have another x ray as hes not an emergency case, but I can’t wait for him to get the all clear soon hopefully.

I hope all you wonderful souls and your feline friends are well. Xxx
Thank you for the update. After my boys broke his leg it took a good year for his limp to lessen. I started him on CBD oil six months ago and that has helped with the limp as well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jelly1995

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the update. After my boys broke his leg it took a good year for his limp to lessen. I started him on CBD oil six months ago and that has helped with the limp as well.
Glad to hear he’s doing better. CBD oil? That sounds interesting! Do you have any advice or articles about how I can go about it with my kitty?

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad to hear he’s doing better. CBD oil? That sounds interesting! Do you have any advice or articles about how I can go about it with my kitty?
It's good to see you again, J Jelly1995 ! :hellosmiley:
The roller coaster ride sucks but it sounds like you're turning towards the home stretch. I've seen dogs and cats with broken bones (clean breaks and close to shattered bones) that walk with a bit of a limp for life, but the pain seems to be gone completely.
Kieka Kieka made a good suggestion about CBD oil, I don't have any articles but I hope someone else will. I've heard it can help with pain (and anxiety, which he may have just because of the pain.) Give him a pat for me, he's a tough little trooper :redheartpump:

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Since your in the UK, I don't have any information from that area. I do have this link about CBD that has a lot of useful information on their website. Cannabis 101: CBD for Your Cat

But since CBD is related to marijuana the research is pretty difficult to find and very much preliminary. It is an anti-inflammatory and pain reliever and it has helped my boy. Link developed arthritis in the broken leg within a year of his (confirmed with x-rays). If you decide to go that way, just be sure you know where it was grown and processed along with the carrier oil.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You might consider joint care products like Cosuquin and dasuquin help with arthritis and may be easier to get CBD oil. The dasuquin really helped our Sweet Gum. She was either born with the arthritis or developed soon afterward. She couldn't quite straighten her back and was rather bad tempered until she started taking it. In a few days she could straighten her back and became much better tempered.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You might consider joint care products like Cosuquin and dasuquin help with arthritis and may be easier to get CBD oil. The dasuquin really helped our Sweet Gum. She was either born with the arthritis or developed soon afterward. She couldn't quite straighten her back and was rather bad tempered until she started taking it. In a few days she could straighten her back and became much better tempered.
Joint aides are a lot easier to find than CBD oil. We did try those first with Link but the results weren't great for him. Every cat is different and it is worth a shot.