Cat Broken Leg- I'm Not Coping

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jelly1995

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's been a week since surgery, at his follow up appointment they completely removed his cast and bandage saying it wasn't necessary anymore. My only concern is he seemed to be bearing some weight on his cast before hand, but now he is unable to bear any weight on his bad leg. Is this a step backwards? Should he still have had the cast on?

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your surgery was more complex than my cat's surgeries, but my cat's ortho surgeon didn't even cast my cat's legs at all. The process of mending and healing takes a while, true, but in some ways, with careful nursing and rehab, sometimes having no cast on the leg is better. Kieka Kieka has some leg cast experience with her cat, Link. ...

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh man, Link and his cast. My vet normally is against casts on cats. Once they are feeling a little bit better they can start trying to get the cast off themselves and cause more damage. When I was a child we had a cat with a cast, he fit that model and shook the cast clean off.

Link, *big sigh*, is Link. He managed to twist the cast within 72 hours of getting it on. Despite my vet putting it on as tight as she could. She only put him in it because he had rebroken the leg and she wanted extra protection for at least a week.

I would believe your vet that the cast off now is best. It was probably just there to support the initial healing. While your cat can't stand as well right now that is a good thing. He won't be putting undue pressure on the leg and hurting it more. Just keep up the crate rest and he will be okay. Cats really do heal quicker then humans.

Jelly1995

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you both. Yes I really didn't want to doubt the vet as she is also the incredible lady who did is surgery so I'm sure she knows best, I guess I wasn't mentally ready to see the incision areas just right now! I can definitely see how casts can cause more damage than they're worth, I guess the collar will stay on for a long while as I can already see him trying to give his bad leg a licky clean!

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Healing incisions are not fun to watch for leg surgeries, for sure. :hugs: :alright:

I know what I did was to take a ton of photos of Milly's leg(s) during her healing process, both with flash on the camera and without flash. Then I could see how the leg(s) progressed each day and in strong or "regular" lighting. And if I was worried or wanted to run a question by the surgeon or surgical vet nurse, I could then email them the photo. Sometimes they recommended us bringing her in in person to check her out; sometimes they said what they viewed on the email looked within good parameters.

Last edited:

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Healing incisions are not fun to watch for leg surgeries, for sure. :hugs: :alright:

I know what I did was to take a ton of photos of Milly's leg(s) during her healing process, both with flash on the camera and without flash. Then I could see how the leg(s) progressed each day and in strong or "regular" lighting. And if I was worried or wanted to run a question by the surgeon or surgical vet nurse, I could then email them the photo. Sometimes they recommended us bringing her in in person to check her out; sometimes they said what they viewed on the email looked with good parameters.
:yeah:

I do the same thing with Links wounds.

Jelly1995

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's a great idea, I will definitely keep a little daily log between his check ups. Thank you once again you wonderful people :rock:

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a dog in a leg cast after a surgery to remove a tumor, and when he had the cast on he'd put minor pressure on the leg and walk with a limp.
When the cast came off, he wouldn't bear any weight. Vet said the cast (down to his ankle) was acting as a "support" for him to walk on (if you can picture how the cast and paw would touch the ground when he took a step, similar in a way to using a walking cane).
He wasn't in a cast long, but it was long enough to cause muscle atrophy and he wasn't using the leg, which was good for the break and good to not over-stress any muscles, tendons, what have you.
You, and your vet both sound like the best team ever to help this little guy recover. :beerchug:
The daily log is a great idea, and will help you organize your thoughts and questions for the vet before the next visit. (If I don't jot down questions I'll forget at least one when I'm at the appointment because the topic can stray quick!)

Jelly1995

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had a dog in a leg cast after a surgery to remove a tumor, and when he had the cast on he'd put minor pressure on the leg and walk with a limp.
When the cast came off, he wouldn't bear any weight. Vet said the cast (down to his ankle) was acting as a "support" for him to walk on (if you can picture how the cast and paw would touch the ground when he took a step, similar in a way to using a walking cane).
He wasn't in a cast long, but it was long enough to cause muscle atrophy and he wasn't using the leg, which was good for the break and good to not over-stress any muscles, tendons, what have you.
You, and your vet both sound like the best team ever to help this little guy recover. :beerchug:
The daily log is a great idea, and will help you organize your thoughts and questions for the vet before the next visit. (If I don't jot down questions I'll forget at least one when I'm at the appointment because the topic can stray quick!)
The log certainly proved useful today as I immediately noticed a red sore bump around his extra arm claw thing (sorry i don't know the technical name!). I immediately emailed a photo over to the nurse who showed the vet, he has to be back there tomorrow as it seems he is starting to get an infection/there already is one. It's only been a day since his cast was removed, feel like the poor guy can't catch a break or I am doing something wrong. I've been cleaning the cage regularly, swapping out his blankets daily and making sure his litter tray is cleaned out every time he uses it!

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think you are doing anything wrong (although I don't know everything you are doing:redheartpump:), it sounds to me you on top of things!

His surgery was a really long surgery, bacteria is very very small! and bacteria has every chance in the world to take advantage of a kitty during "open leg surgery", if I can call it that. It's just about the time you'd start seeing signs of infection, so you are all over it!
:rock:

:hugs:

Jelly1995

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't think you are doing anything wrong (although I don't know everything you are doing:redheartpump:), it sounds to me you on top of things!

His surgery was a really long surgery, bacteria is very very small! and bacteria has every chance in the world to take advantage of a kitty during "open leg surgery", if I can call it that. It's just about the time you'd start seeing signs of infection, so you are all over it!
:rock:

:hugs:
Thank you, do you think I should try a saline solution on the area? Or is it best to leave it to the vet tomorrow- I don't want to sting him. I suspect he will be given antibiotics anyway

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My opinion, via my own leg surgery experience: leave it for the vet to take care of. But call your vet to be sure!

Postscript: and keep him from licking the area! A cat's mouth is full of bacteria...
:runaround:

Jelly1995

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Do you have any ideas for a non toxic cleaning solution to clean out his cage? I've seen vinegar as a method but I don't feel too keen on that :barfgreen:

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
1) Is it a metal cage?
2) Do you have a temporary place to put him in safety, while you do periodic cleanings of the cage?

The cage or crates I used for my own cat were canvas fabric, so I don't have experience with good products to use with metal cages.

Kieka Kieka ? Cage cleaning input? (Sorry to mention you again, but I guess you're like a Leg Surgery Buddy!)

Jelly1995

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I usually transport him into his carrier when I'm cleaning it, yes it's a metal wire cage so was ideally looking for a safe homemade solution to do a wipe down

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Link was aneat freak about his crate. I'd usually put the carrier up to the door and he'd walk right in (I'd have to block anyway around or he would try to avoid it). Once he was in the carrier I took everything out. I had the floor lined with a towel, a cat bed, litter box, food and water. The towel and cat bed I shook off into the trash then threw in the washer. Sweep anything that was on the floor with a hand broom. I'd put a new towel and cat bed into the crate. Shift the litter box, adding more if needed. Top off water. I measured out his food for the day in a separate container and would give him a little at time. He normally free feeds so I kept some food in his bowl at all times and spread it out so he didn't eat it out of boredom all at once. I didn't actually wipe.down the floor of the crate with chemicals, just warm water with a touch of dawn soap if needed. Most of the mess ended up on the towels and Link is a neat freak so he didn't spill outside the box often. We did put cardboard on the walls around the crate for those times he did miss the litter box so we could just toss and replace that.

Jelly1995

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Perfect, I have been doing the same and just wiping the floor over with water and extremely diluted dish soap. Didn't want to bring chemicals anywhere near the little guy

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Perfect, I have been doing the same and just wiping the floor over with water and extremely diluted dish soap. Didn't want to bring chemicals anywhere near the little guy
You're doing more than a fine job IMO.
Surgical stuff sometimes (most times) have some kind of set back that keep you pulling your hair out!!
It sounds to me like you're taking excellent care of him and are doing more than most would bother with to make sure he heals up, fast and efficiently!

Jelly1995

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This may seem a silly question- but at this point they don't know if it's just a skin level infection or deeper (implant or bones). He was given two antibiotic shots and is to return on Monday for a follow up appointment- will these shots prevent it progressing to the bone if it is just a skin level infection? I was told to monitor him over the weekend but they were quite adamant that they wouldn't x ray him today despite me saying he needs a post op x ray anyway

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The antibiotics usually take 2-3 days to start showing noticable results. Infections can appear to be getting slightly worse or unchanging for those first few days. You can also feel worse right after getting an antibiotic as things start clearing up. Have faith that the vet knows what they are doing. They managed to save his leg so far and aren't going to risk making it worse at this point.