Cat brings snakes to the house

vamaksi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone!

Does anybody have a problem with snakes in the house? I was wondering if there is a suggestion (besides "bells on the collar") to prevent your cat bringing LIVE snakes into the house. I despise snakes, but on top of it, the cat brought a poisonous (that was hissing even!) snake today. Need suggestions. Thanks for any feedback! 

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh my goodness!!  I would have screamed big time!  I prefer not to go near ANY snakes!  When I was in high school I got up one day and found my 2 had brought a snake into the garage; but they never got one in the actual house.  I made my mother take care of it. 

I'm pretty sure he's bringing it to you as a "gift"....  but what a gift!  My first cat ever would bring crickets...or just their legs...into my Mom's bed at night.  Poor Mom!

I'm curious what others will have to say!

Welcome to TCS btw!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You won't like my suggestion!

Work on making your kitty an indoor only kitty. That solves the problem, plus it protects your kitty from danger of all kinds, including getting bitten or eaten by a snake he is trying to play with.

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would be keeping my cat inside permanently if I had evidence he was playing with poisonous snakes. It's good to train him to not bring them in, but what happens if he's outside and one of these snakes bites him?

jpulse

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I agree with the  people above. The best and most effective way to solve this problem is to transition your cat into an inside one. This will keep the snakes out and ultimately keep your kitty much safer.

missymoo1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well I wouldn't. It's cruel and makes them sad !! :( 

So you do it but you know you could go outside and sit with them for a bit.

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

"Indoor cat" means they aren't allowed outside by themselves for long periods of time. Both of my cats are indoor-only, but I bring them outside to play almost every day. I don't now about the others, but I was recommending not allowing the cat outside by itself to get in trouble and play with snakes. Being supervised outside is completely different in my mind.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi and welcome to TCS! 
  I don't know if there is a way to prevent an indoor/outdoor cat from bringing in snakes.  Do you have a pet door or do you let your cat in yourself? 

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My cats are indoor-outdoor and they did bring a live snake in the house. But they also have brought in birds, lizards, frogs, bats, worms, rats, mice, giant beetles, butterflies, moths... If the OP's cat only brings in snakes it means there is a nest nearby and it should be moved away from the residence or clean out the backyard. Snakes are shy creatures and they prefer to hide in lots of clutter like leaves, fallen trees...

nebula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like a gift to you, but a deadly one.

My cats are indoor cats, period. Once or twice a week they get like 10 minutes of outside playtime with supervision. But, we live in the city and don't really have snakes here.

I think you need to find the source, it seems so odd that a cat carries snakes, but I guess it happens or something.

Don't have the snakes killed,  just have them relocated.

nicole finch

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It is not cruel to keep your cats indoor only.

My cat was an outdoor cat, and to cut a long story short someone had got hold of her outside and pulled her tail so hard it broke her spine and paralyzed her.  She had to be put down three days later after having her tail amputated and manually expressing her bladder three times a day, she was only 18 months old.

NONE of my cats will ever be outdoor cats, ever.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Before you think keeping a cat indoors is "cruel," please go to the "Crossing the Bridge" section of this web site and read the heartbroken stories there.