Cat Bringing Live Mice Indoors And Letting Them Loose

book him danno

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
See, I thought cats were meant to eradicate the local mouse population - and for years that's what my cat has done. But two weeks ago he brought a live, healthy mouse indoors, placed it on the carpet and just sat there as it ran off and took refuge behind the furniture. For about ten minutes he tried to flush it out, then gave up and went to sleep.

For the next three days and three nights, the mouse was scurrying round and round the skirting boards of my living room, ignoring or outwitting any traps I put down at night and running rings around my cat on those few occasions he bothered acknowledging the mouse's existence. In the end, after three days and nights, the mouse escaped from my home under his own steam by climbing up a cable onto a bookcase, jumping from there onto the windowsill and then exiting via the open window while I looked on in silence, barely daring to breathe.

This morning, just after breakfast, the cat brought in another live mouse and unleashed it in the living room again, with exactly the same effect. As previously, he rapidly lost interest and it was left to me to spend three hours pursuing the creature round and round the room until I managed to chase it into the jaws of a mouse trap. All my plans for today, a nice sunny Saturday with blue skies, have been wrecked and I'm now sitting here wondering how to stop this situation ever arising again.

My cat's lived here for eight years and has never pulled this stunt before. I count myself very lucky indeed that neither of the mice got further than my living room, but luck like that can't last and I don't fancy a mouse holing up in a cupboard and giving birth to a family in there. How can I make my cat understand that unleashing live mice in my home is unacceptable? I don't want to keep him shut indoors for the rest of his life just to make a point.

Thanks for your thoughts.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
You cannot change your cat so here are your options. Don’t let your cat outside, close up the cat door if you have one and only let in the mouseless cat, or continue to chase and capture any mice brought in.

I really don’t think they will move in. More than likely it will die fairly quickly of exhaustion or injuries from your cat.

basschick

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i had a cat who brought me mice and birds back in my old outdoor cat days.

or maybe he thought the mouse was a fun toy to play with and then lost interest.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
In my case, because Feeby is confined to a screened in patio as her outdoors, mice are not an issue. But, she (as well as my previous cats) has been known to catch a lizard ALIVE, bring it into the house and play with it, often leaving the 'remnants' for me to find when I clean. However, if one gets away from her, it might find me later - perhaps by jumping on my leg while I am watching TV - YOWZ, they are slimy and cold!!!!

basschick

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i had a cat who twice brought in a bird off our tiny apartment patio and released it to watch it fly around. what a hassle it was to get those birds to fly out of the apartment! after that, i kept the patio door closed!

In my case, because Feeby is confined to a screened in patio as her outdoors, mice are not an issue. But, she (as well as my previous cats) has been known to catch a lizard ALIVE, bring it into the house and play with it, often leaving the 'remnants' for me to find when I clean. However, if one gets away from her, it might find me later - perhaps by jumping on my leg while I am watching TV - YOWZ, they are slimy and cold!!!!
lizards aren't slimy... just sayin'... :D i used to own all sorts of them. they are NOT as fun and involved as cats!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

book him danno

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

I should've said, he's brought in a smattering of live mice and birds over the past eight years as well as the dead ones, but they've generally been paralysed with fear by the time I've got to them (or by the time I've persuaded him to place them gently into the palm of my hand), so it's been easy to handle them and to put them into a lidded box for half an hour so they can recover themselves before being released outside. The novelty here is that the two most recent mice haven't been scared at all: they've both been super-intelligent Speedy Gonzales mice who laugh in the face of danger.

I have no cat-door, so the old pusscat comes and goes via my windows...which on a nice day are of course open. So as we head into summer, it looks like I'll have to chose between keeping all my windows battened down and dying of heatstroke or having them wide open and allowing my cat to bring all the local mice indoors for a change of scene. There goes my summer....

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
See, I thought cats were meant to eradicate the local mouse population - and for years that's what my cat has done. But two weeks ago he brought a live, healthy mouse indoors, placed it on the carpet and just sat there as it ran off and took refuge behind the furniture. For about ten minutes he tried to flush it out, then gave up and went to sleep.

For the next three days and three nights, the mouse was scurrying round and round the skirting boards of my living room, ignoring or outwitting any traps I put down at night and running rings around my cat on those few occasions he bothered acknowledging the mouse's existence. In the end, after three days and nights, the mouse escaped from my home under his own steam by climbing up a cable onto a bookcase, jumping from there onto the windowsill and then exiting via the open window while I looked on in silence, barely daring to breathe.

This morning, just after breakfast, the cat brought in another live mouse and unleashed it in the living room again, with exactly the same effect. As previously, he rapidly lost interest and it was left to me to spend three hours pursuing the creature round and round the room until I managed to chase it into the jaws of a mouse trap. All my plans for today, a nice sunny Saturday with blue skies, have been wrecked and I'm now sitting here wondering how to stop this situation ever arising again.

My cat's lived here for eight years and has never pulled this stunt before. I count myself very lucky indeed that neither of the mice got further than my living room, but luck like that can't last and I don't fancy a mouse holing up in a cupboard and giving birth to a family in there. How can I make my cat understand that unleashing live mice in my home is unacceptable? I don't want to keep him shut indoors for the rest of his life just to make a point.

I laughed when I read this.....sorry.

I think your cat has found an even better game than chasing mice.....its watching YOU chase his mouse....lol.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You people in the UK must not have mosquitoes or flies or you couldn't live without screens. Screens on the windows are the solution to your problem.
I know, I'm always suprised when people on this site say their cat gets out because they don't have screens. I'd be eaten alive by bugs if I tried that. And I'm pretty sure the barn swallows would move in too! They'd eat some of the bugs but the bird poop would just be a little too much for inside I think! :D

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I know, I'm always suprised when people on this site say their cat gets out because they don't have screens. I'd be eaten alive by bugs if I tried that. And I'm pretty sure thd barn swallows would move in too!
Not to mention, for me in FL, the palmettos, garden roaches, frogs, lizards, ants, and about a gazillion other bugs, raccoons, armadillos, possums - as well as mosquitoes and any number of birds. Probably would be a few squirrels thrown in the mix; and, it is possible I could see an ibis or sandhill crane as well - those guys know no boundaries.:wink:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

book him danno

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sadly, I live in an apartment with only one entrance door - and that leads into the main communal corridor/hallway of the block, so the ol' pusscat's only option is the windows for coming and going from and to the outside world. Yes, screens would be a fantastic solution in theory, but fixing them onto/over double-glazed uPVC windowframes in a rented apartment might well get me booted out. I envy people with screens though. Screens must be great for keeping high-jumping alligators and low-flying bald eagles out of windows in Florida, eh?

And yes, I am beginning to suspect that the cat only unleashes mice in my home as some sort of fiendish experiment, to see how many times I can stand it before I become a blubbering wreck and end up in a psychiatric ward.

Many thanks for sharing your thoughts with me.

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
Duct tape a screen! Seriously, it can work. Or something like this:
How to Make: Window Screens / Amy Alan / Really Handmade

But, one cat I had would poke through the screens on the windows. But, it's worth a try...
My cat Milkshake from some years ago taught me to have indoor cats only by bringing her gifts of mice, baby birds, and once a little baby bunny.