Cat breed? HELP ID

foxstruck

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all, thanks for the add. We just adopted this beautiful cat and I am not educated on the different breeds. I have browsed the forum and I think she is a tabby? Can anyone help to id her? I realize different breeds require different types of care and we want to give her the best possible home.

sisco1111

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Almost looks like a main coon mix.   I am not sure, so don't count on this answer.    bless your heart for adopting!   
   she almost looks to fluffy to be a tabby.  maybe a main coon-tabby mix?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

foxstruck

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thanks so much. That gives me a start. I saw some pics of the maine coon. This little girl is big and her feet are huge lol. I'll start researching for the best diet, care, etc.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

Almost looks like a main coon mix.   I am not sure, so don't count on this answer.    bless your heart for adopting!   
   she almost looks to fluffy to be a tabby.  maybe a main coon-tabby mix?
I agree, this fella is so big he is almost surely some Maine Coon mix.  And they are often tabby-patttern, so him being tabby doesnt deny a probable MCO ancestry.

Wait, its a she?  Then she is even bigger than it looks.   There are some other big breeds, whose could be ancestors, but my guess is MCO - esp if you live in USA.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
RE diet, I think the diet as such is essentially as for other cats. But she being big, must have bigger portions than an average petitish female moggie...   :)

Royal Canin makes different dry foods for different breeds, but its essentially a PR-gimmick.  There is very little reality in it...

Remember wet food is usually better than dry food,...

fluffy nebelung

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If she's an older kitty, you may like to feed her a dry food made specially for older cats.

I thought dry cat food was better than wet, as dry food helps keep cat teeth clean. We rarely feed our kitties wet food, unless it's a special occasion.

As Stefanz suggested, she may require slightly bigger portions, given her size.

As for breed, it is possible you have a maine coon mix, given her size (and facial structure). Does she have ear tufts?

She could also just be a longhaired moggie, which is just a mixed breed, or mutt.

For color/pattern, she is a brown tabby, with what I can only assume to be mackerel tabby markings. Tabby isn't a type of breed, and is only a markings/pattern that cats (both moggies and registered breeds) can have.

It's difficult to tell exactly what she is in the photograph.

If she has thin vertical stripes along her sides, then she is a mackerel tabby.

If she has thick, blotchy markings, she's a classic.

If she doesn't appear to have any markings but a dark glaze, she's a ticked tabby.

If she has spots on her sides, she's a spotted tabby.

If she has both spots AND stripes on her sides, she's a broken mackerel.

Thank you for choosing to rescue her. :) She looks like she'll be a great cat!

p.s.:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've heard egg yolk is good for fur.

It could make a nice treat for her!

ladybellac17

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
she looks like a maine coon .is hair growing out of in beween her toes and tuffts of hair on top of ears? then shes a maine coon. shes beautifull and lucky to be loved by you.