cat breathing too fast?

andrayolo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hello, my 1 year old cat is breathing fast for as long as i can remember( i have him since he was a little baby, but maybe I noticed it when he was 6 months old). I don’t know to say how fast, I think like 60-50 breathes per minute. He does that mostly when he purrs and that’s almost the whole day( also his purrs are very very silent you can barely hear, but I can feel it when i touch his neck). When he is in a deep sleep, he breathes normally. He doesn’t breathe on his mouth, his nostrils don’t flare, nothing. He is a normal cat except that.
I have him sleeping near me and just now, he got in that deep sleep and his breathing is normally, like 24 breathes per minute. The moment I wake him up and purrs, back to 60.
I have to say that he got a really bad case of bronchitis last year and was hospitalised several days, maybe that’s when the whole breathing thing started I don’t know. I just know that about that time I noticed it because I kept a close eye on him, maybe it started before though.. They also told me that his vocal cords were a little bit damaged after that.
I kept telling telling my parents that I think his breathing is abnormal and maybe we should go check again, but they keep telling me that he is normal and i shouldn’t worry.
But is it normal?:(

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That is way too fast and I'm guessing his lungs were damaged with that bad case of bronchitis you mentioned. does he ever display open mouthed breathing, any time other than when he's really running around like a maniac? One of myi guys would open mouth breathe after running all over the house during play as a younster, but then only for a few seconds. I would definitely bring this up with his Vet during the next visit if it isn't already obvious during the check-up. Since he's one years old, he should be due for his annual exam soon anyway, right?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

andrayolo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think I have noticed something like that these days. He was really really sleepy one time, couldn’t keep his eyes open almost fell asleep while he was standing lol, he was purring and his mouth opened for a little bit, not panting just like he couldn’t close it because of how sleepy he was. I don’t even know how to explain, very very little opening.
But now that I think about it he sometimes does that when he is very sleepy and purring or i interrupt his lovely sleep.
Yes, we will take him for check up soon. On the 25th this month, but to another vet as we had several problems with the last one. They never said that there was anything suspicious about his breathing, I mentioned it a couple of times.