cat breathes funny (with video)

MightyBoosh88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This has been going on for a long time and since it doesn't bother him at all and doesn't seem like a struggle, I haven't gotten him checked out. Does anyone else's cat sound like this or know what it is? May have to turn volume up on video. He basically just sounds like a super mini darth vader. He's 13, healthy weight, and uhh lives a sedentary lifestyle. Thanks y'all

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Honestly, with his age, and how long it’s been going on, I’d get him to a vet ASAP. When was his last senior wellness check?

First guess would be that he has a stuffy nose, but that really shouldn’t be lasting long term. With long-term breathing issues, thoughts are asthma, obesity (though he doesn’t look it from the angle of the video), or heart issues. You really want to rule these causes out, especially with the last one.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My boy had severe asthma that was so bad that I had to put him to sleep.... he couldn’t catch his breath. He never sounded like that, though his activity level went way down. That said I had a cat that as a kitten had a bad URI. It cleared up but he snores.He is a senior now, still snoring & it is fine health wise. My cat Jackie snores if he sleeps in weird positions and he is only 2!

Besides asthma, stuffy nose or a heart condition he could have a cancerous growth in his sinus cavity. I vote take him to the vet ASAP! Maybe it is just a deviated septum or fungus infection but I would want the vet to rule out the more serious stuff.