Cat Breath Smelling Very Bad Like Garbage And Rotten

smhsn1981

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all,
As I posted in previous threads, I have adopted a cat and he has tested FIV+. The thing is his breath smells very bad and when he grooms himself his whole body smells terrible and the whole room and furniture which he sat on stinks, I checked his mouth and his teeth are not that bad but there is a red line on his gum which I am not sure if it is a gum infection or not. He does not seem to be in pain because he eats very well, however, he does not chew his dry food and only swallows it, I asked a vet to check his mouth and after checking briefly she said it is not that bad and just gave me a gel to clean every day his mouth, however, it does not help to get rid of the bad smell. My main concern is that if he has mouth infection and eats from my other cats food and water bowl, he transmits the infection to my other cats, Do you know if gum infection is contagious? if anybody has similar experience I would appreciate your advice. I have already made an appointment for checking under Anastasia in two weeks, but cannot wait

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Can you have this kitty eat and drink from different bowls and dishes that are washed daily at least until you have the issue taken care of?
Is there any way you could have his mouth looked at by a different vet?

Can you feed canned food?

Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

smhsn1981

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi!
Can you have this kitty eat and drink from different bowls and dishes that are washed daily at least until you have the issue taken care of?
Is there any way you could have his mouth looked at by a different vet?

Can you feed canned food?

Good luck!
Well, I have separated him in a kitchen when I am not home so he does not infect the other cats food dishes and also because he is new and FIV+ still my cats have not accepted him, but I cannot separate him for ever so at some point I need to leave him free roam in apartment, He is currently on both wet and dry, he loves his wet food which I feed twice a day and meanwhile he gets some dry and he eats very very well, So I already have made an appointment at a different animal clinic for an x-ray, I hope they can find the issue because it is now a big concern for me :(

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
From what I understand, FIV is transmitted from deep bite wounds, so I don't think sharing food and water dishes would transmit it. That being said however, FIV cats are very prone to mouth issues, so if there is any hint of redness it needs to be addressed. I would definitely take him to another Vet. Sounds like he needs a dental sooner than later, and by sooner, it sounds to me as if he's already past due. A cat's breath should not be that stinky. It really shouldn't be stinky at all, unless he just ate some stinky food and it's still on his tongue :wink:

smhsn1981

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
From what I understand, FIV is transmitted from deep bite wounds, so I don't think sharing food and water dishes would transmit it. That being said however, FIV cats are very prone to mouth issues, so if there is any hint of redness it needs to be addressed. I would definitely take him to another Vet. Sounds like he needs a dental sooner than later, and by sooner, it sounds to me as if he's already past due. A cat's breath should not be that stinky. It really shouldn't be stinky at all, unless he just ate some stinky food and it's still on his tongue :wink:
Do you know if there is at all a cure for this kind of infection? The breath is so stinky to the extent that when I am close and he opens his mouth I wanna puke, Its exactly as if a trash can with rotten food, I am just too worried he has to live with this forever and gives this infection to my other cats, my other two cats smell very good although they have been feral

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Not knowing exactly what is happening in his mouth, I cannot say, but probably a good cleaning, followed by antibiotics, will do the trick. Only a good Vet will be able to tell you for sure. Did the Vet you took him know he's FIV +? I can't imagine they didn't suggest a dental for a cat whose breath is that bad:headscratch:

smhsn1981

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Not knowing exactly what is happening in his mouth, I cannot say, but probably a good cleaning, followed by antibiotics, will do the trick. Only a good Vet will be able to tell you for sure. Did the Vet you took him know he's FIV +? I can't imagine they didn't suggest a dental for a cat whose breath is that bad:headscratch:
Well, I do not trust the vet, She knows he is FIV+ and I told her about this issue and asked her to check, but honestly she did not even look carefully in his mouth and just told me its not a big issue as long as he eats, and just gave me tooth gel, this time i will go to an animal hospital, but honestly I am so disappointed at the vets, they usually do not care to check and find the problem, It is so hard to find a good vet and I have not found one yet, I just hope this one would help because it is an animal hospital and seems to have good reputation

Sharon2665

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have an older cat that has chronic bad teeth and gum issues but is to old for surgery. You can smell him before you see him. So I would say have another vet thoroughly check his teeth and gums. One other thing it could also be is a stomach problem. Had on old girl who also had terrible bad breath that would knock you over. Found out it was a gastro reflux problem. Got her on a special diet and it went away. Good luck!

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can pretty much guarantee an FIV cat will need full mouth extractions at some point as those teeth and gums will get bad fast and you can't ignore it because they will get infected and since the cat has such a compromised immune system.... See where I am going? Plan for that. If you are smelling it now find a more caring vet that can get him in for a dental and pull out the bad teeth.

He can live with FIV negative cats as long as they don't fight and are all neutered.

smhsn1981

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have an older cat that has chronic bad teeth and gum issues but is to old for surgery. You can smell him before you see him. So I would say have another vet thoroughly check his teeth and gums. One other thing it could also be is a stomach problem. Had on old girl who also had terrible bad breath that would knock you over. Found out it was a gastro reflux problem. Got her on a special diet and it went away. Good luck!
Thanks for recommendation, I will do all the checkup with a new animal clinic, hopefully they find the source, Can it also be some respiratory or sinus issues? I suspect that since he usually pants even with light activity and seems to breath from his mouth, also, while sleeping his mouth is open

smhsn1981

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You can pretty much guarantee an FIV cat will need full mouth extractions at some point as those teeth and gums will get bad fast and you can't ignore it because they will get infected and since the cat has such a compromised immune system.... See where I am going? Plan for that. If you are smelling it now find a more caring vet that can get him in for a dental and pull out the bad teeth.

He can live with FIV negative cats as long as they don't fight and are all neutered.
Thanks, I know that FIV virus by itself is not transmitted so easily, but how about the oral infection? is it transmittable from cat to cat ? I thought if they share water bowl my other cats will get oral issues as well, and there is no way to separate water dishes

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really don't think its as easily transmitted that way, but be sure to ask the vet. You could confine him to the bathroom for a bit until the infection is cleared up. The important part is getting him on a healthy canned diet, lysine could be of help, have that mouth and teeth looked at and stay up on it, this isn't a one time thing, he is already showing signs of FIV so you gotta keep having him checked out.

smhsn1981

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I really don't think its as easily transm9itted that way, but be sure to ask the vet. You could confine him to the bathroom for a bit until the infection is cleared up. The important part is getting him on a healthy canned diet, lysine could be of help, have that mouth and teeth looked at and stay up on it, this isn't a one time thing, he is already showing signs of FIV so you gotta keep having him checked out.
He is confined in kitchen now, I only take him out when I am around and can supervise, he is on Animodna Carny wet and Acana dry food now.

so you think this infection means he already has got feline AIDS? :( he is still too young (1.5 year old) :(. Do you have suggestion for food which targets this type of infection? or anything to boost immune system?

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is awfully young. I had a 10ish year old FIV cat years ago who was showing those symtoms. Some never show any symptoms and some are sniffly and sickly their whole lives.

From the ASPCA website:
An FIV-infected cat may not show any symptoms for years. Once symptoms do develop, however, they may continually progress—or a cat may show signs of sickness interspersed with health for years. If your cat is demonstrating any of the following symptoms, please have examined by your veterinarian:

• Enlarged lymph nodes
  • Fever
  • Anemia
  • Weight loss
  • Disheveled coat
  • Poor appetite
  • Diarrhea
  • Abnormal appearance or inflammation of the eye (conjunctivitis)
  • Inflammation of the gums (gingivitis)
  • Inflammation of the mouth (stomatitis)
  • Dental disease
  • Skin redness or hair loss
  • Wounds that don’t heal
  • Sneezing
  • Discharge from eyes or nose
  • Frequent urination, straining to urinate or urinating outside of litter box
  • Behavior change
I am really glad you have an appointment in 2 weeks. Save as much money as you can for anything that might need extracted. If you note any of these concerns listed bring them up specifically to your vet. The hope is you can get it under control and keep things managed until he is older. Remember too that cats hide their pain and discomfort very effectively so just because he seems fine doesn't really mean anything. And good luck. I don't mean to worry you but I am a little concerned since he already has such bad mouth smells. Will the vet be doing a full blood panel too? That would be ideal to make sure his organs are all functioning correctly.

smhsn1981

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That is awfully young. I had a 10ish year old FIV cat years ago who was showing those symtoms. Some never show any symptoms and some are sniffly and sickly their whole lives.

From the ASPCA website:
An FIV-infected cat may not show any symptoms for years. Once symptoms do develop, however, they may continually progress—or a cat may show signs of sickness interspersed with health for years. If your cat is demonstrating any of the following symptoms, please have examined by your veterinarian:

• Enlarged lymph nodes
  • Fever
  • Anemia
  • Weight loss
  • Disheveled coat
  • Poor appetite
  • Diarrhea
  • Dental disease
  • Wounds that don’t heal
  • Sneezing
  • Behavior change
I am really glad you have an appointment in 2 weeks. Save as much money as you can for anything that might need extracted. If you note any of these concerns listed bring them up specifically to your vet. The hope is you can get it under control and keep things managed until he is older. Remember too that cats hide their pain and discomfort very effectively so just because he seems fine doesn't really mean anything. And good luck. I don't mean to worry you but I am a little concerned since he already has such bad mouth smells. Will the vet be doing a full blood panel too? That would be ideal to make sure his organs are all functioning correctly.
Thanks a lot <3, I will ask for all necessary tests, Hopefully we can keep that under control :)

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lysine is a suppliment you could try to boost the immune system. It comes in pill, capsule, gel, treats, etc. I am sure there are more. Pet stores should sell them.

smhsn1981

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

From the ASPCA website:

• Enlarged lymph nodes
  • Fever
  • Anemia
  • Weight loss
  • Disheveled coat
  • Poor appetite
  • Diarrhea
  • Dental disease
  • Wounds that don’t heal
  • Sneezing
  • Behavior change
Well, I forgot to mention he is also Corona virus +

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Where did you adopt this cat from? If it was a shelter you need to call them up and have a talk. Coronavirus can lead to FIP which is very contagious and hard to control. Poor thing is a mess.