Cat Boundaries - My Affectionate Old Cat Won't Stop Trying To Sit On My Keyboard

AKnightWhoLovesCats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Atlanta GA, USA, Earth, Sirius, Milky Way
Hi everyone,

It's my first post here,

My affectionate old gray cat has been a true constant over the years (she's now maybe 18). But lately it seems like a very frustrating game of, either I give her a lot of affection, or I shut her off. She doesn't understand that she needs to be 6 inches to the left of my keyboard.

I don't actually want to make it an absolute rule. I don't mind her walking the plank in front of my face before my keyboard from time to time (I'm a big PC guy, with two 4K screens), but gosh,

There's only two things happening: I let her spend untold minutes right in front of my keyboard,

Or I physically have to brush her to the side about six inches (8 cm), which she does not like and/or I have to physically push her back.

Look. I love her. But when I'm at my PC, I'm doing business or am playing PC games.

She wants affection as much or more than a dog - if it's ok to say that.

Does anyone have an idea of how I might work with her? If I gently (or brusquely) push her to the side, she always seems offended. She is not getting the message, "ok, daddy needs to work now". Even though it's been years.

Can anyone suggest useful ideas?

A ring of garlic? lol

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
One "fix" I've seen is to put a fairly flat cardboard box with a blanket or towel in it beside the keyboard/computer on the table. The idea is that the cat will choose the comfiest place to hang out with you. It's at least worth a try.

My husband uses his laptop on the coffee table. Mowgli continuously walked across it till we put a sheepskin on the sofa. Now he hangs out on the sheepskin beside my husband and watches the screen.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AKnightWhoLovesCats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Atlanta GA, USA, Earth, Sirius, Milky Way
Thanks guys and gals. My cat Pixel always walks in front of me - never quite anticipating where I'll go (even though it's the ten thousandth time she could've figured it out), and I do give her a lot of loving. But it's suddenly striking me as maybe too much. Maybe I'm old (almost 60 in human years), or maybe she is (18 in calendar years).
I guess it's a good excuse to work with my wife and for us to commission a platform to the right of me. Off to the right of my computer office table is some blank space ... it would need a special-tailored table. Sigh. We never asked for this cat - one of four our teenage daughter dropped on us circa 2001 when she was 12 or so.
It's both lovely and depressing, lol ... to have this old friend insist on being absolutely everywhere I am, all the time, right in front of me, as much as possible. She's very dear ... and also, a real PITA
No more replies needed. I'll work through it. I didn't mean to intrude too much. thank you for having this forum, TheCatSite.

Genesis123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
"...Cat Won't Stop Trying To Sit On My Keyboard"

...been a true constant over the years (she's now maybe 18)
My heart goes out to you -- sincerely! I know how you feel..... many of us do! But, two things come to mind.

(1) Your cat, at 18-ish, may be feeling her mortality and wants to spend every minute with you that she can. She knows she's not going to live forever and she loves you. She's trying to make every minute count. [Now, doesn't that almost bring you to tears? HOW DARE YOU PUSH THAT OLD SWEETHEART AWAY!!! :mad2: LOL.] I have an almost-17 year old cat who, recently, came in the house, after being outdoors most of his life, and sleeps on my bed. When I get my laptop out, he immediately comes and sits on my lap... like, getting the laptop is his cue to move in. Often, I let his sit or lie there -- while I try to type over him. But, often, too, I put my arm in front of him, to block his getting on my lap. And, I tell him (in a nice, and desperate, voice), "No, you can't. I have to do this. I have to work and I can't do it if you're there." I keep it up until he lies down on the bed beside me. So, you've got to use a firm hand... or arm... But that box idea, above, was great. (I've used that, too, in another situation (office/desk/desktop). I just can't remember, off hand, how successful it was.)

(2) The other thing that comes to mind -- and this may sound weird, or spooky -- but cats are telepathic. They are very sensitive to "white noise" -- even, I think, something "finer" than white noise. We humans, and animals, give off energy, no matter what we do. When you work, or play games, on your PC, you are giving off energy and focusing it in that direction (towards your monitors). The cat (in my opinion) may be wanting to be a part of that, and/or to understand what's going on between you and the lighted screens. So, she sits on the keyboard (or between you and the monitors) because it is the best vantage point for doing that. Moving her out of that stream, greatly lessens her ability to "feel" what's going on. (I realize I should support this possibility with credentials, but let's just leave it at this: It's a possibility. LOL.)

I wish I had a solution for you. Try the box... or garlic! ;)

:hellocomputer::caticon:

EDIT: Gee, I was typing my answer (I'm slow) while you were typing "no more responses needed". But, after reading your last post, I must say, maybe the problem is both (what I said) -- definitely, she, probably, loves the vibes you give off, if she follows you around everywhere; but, also, I'm committed to believing she wants to know what you're doing on that PC. She may be a bit jealous, too, and wants to figure out "why". :)

Last edited:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
No more replies needed. I'll work through it. I didn't mean to intrude too much. thank you for having this forum, TheCatSite.
AKnightWhoLovesCats AKnightWhoLovesCats : First off, this is theCATsite. We talk CATS here. :catman:Therefore you can't "intrude too much", if you're posting about cats! But we have non-cat forums as well. So really, it's pretty hard to ever "intrude too much".

So, hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2: Hope you'll be back and see the additional replies. And tell us more about your precious older cat, Pixel. :hearthrob:

You can even "formally" introduce yourself and Pixel in our New Cats on the Block forum. :compsurfing:

About Pixel wanting to help when you're on the computer, what works (sometimes) for me is putting a chair right beside me for Ruby to sit on. She likes it even better if I put a blanket or throw on the chair. So maybe that's something you could try with Pixel.

I also have to post a meme I actually just posted in another thread about cats and computers. Is this you and Pixel? :lol:

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
In her last few years my sweet old girl wanted me to hold her every minute I was home and I remember my frustration (and hers) when I had something I simply couldn’t do with a cat on my shoulders. Looking back now though, I wish I would have found a little bit more time to snuggle her and to treasure her last years.

But work does have to get done. So I would suggest you try getting your girl an electric heated cat bed that you could place somewhere close to your computer desk. Cats find these beds irresistible and you will feel less guilty when you put her into a warm cozy bed rather than putting her on the floor.

Last edited:

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats are interested in what their humans do and they like to be where the action is. They know that you pay attention to "that thing" on the desk so they figure, if they want to be part of the action, they should go and sit by "that thing."

Cats are pretty smart like that but they don't understand that they are in the way when they do that. (Or maybe they don't CARE whether they are in the way. ;) )

They way to deal with this problem is to give them a place to be where the action is but where they aren't in the way.

The idea of giving the box to sit in is an excellent one! :)
You're giving the cat a special place where he can see the action but where he's not in the way.

lakpdx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this site...I saw this post and felt compelled to respond as this is an on going battle for me. I work at home full time and my two cats are always on my desk, keyboard, trying to shred paper....it's a thing. :) Anyway thought I would share what I do to keep them entertained. My feral especially loves this. I pop it up on the TV and voila....no more instant cat messages to my boss or spilled coffee. Hope you find this as me. Can't wait to keep checking out this site. Good luck all you "work at homers" LOL

vyger

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I found a wireless keyboard to be indispensable. That way you can put it anywhere including across the arms of the chair. I use dual monitors also and sometimes just move screens from one to the other since the cat can't be in front of both of them at the same time. You also learn to look around them, roll the chair a little to the side so you can see. Sometimes I have even put the keyboard on top of them if they are in my lap, briefly, to make a note or a correction. They don't like it if it goes for more than a minute and will leave. Something else that works is to just scoop them off the desk into your lap and work over them. What does get annoying is when things start getting pushed off the desk so they can make room to stretch out.

This is an older monitor and keyboard. I went to a bigger monitor and a lighter keyboard. Still have the same cat though.
Something I have thought about is to get a mounting arm for the monitor so it floats over the desk and can be re-positioned easily. Since monitors are lighter and larger you can move it anywhere with a extension arm.

This a more expensive mount but very versatile. There are cheaper ones.
Ergotron Lx Desk Mount Lcd Monitor Arm,Tall Pole.Ergonomically Mount An Lcd On A - Newegg.com

Last edited:

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMG_5305.JPG :welcomesign:Once I stopped laughing I looked back to how I solved the problem. I gave my cats a bed on my computer desk (but a heating pad or box might make it better.) One of my cats drove me nuts by lying on his bed and stretching his paw to hover or touch the keyboard..., I would gently scold him and move him back six inches, then repeat the game. I found petting him while typing with one hand helped keep him happy. Lately I have just been using my cell and tablet.... which I can use from the couch with my kitten on my lap.
:goodluck:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Krista has a tree next to the desk and plenty of space behind the laptop to sprawl out. But she likes to jump down from the tree onto the desk and then watches expectantly as I clear a clutter-free path for her to finish her approach. This is easier than letting her clear a path. Sometimes I can coax her into my lap but usually I just endulge her for 20 minutes. That space between the keyboard and myself is her filling station for affection. Once full up (usually 15-20 minutes), she'll wander off and continue her VIP (very important pussycat) schedule.

lakpdx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this site...I saw this post and felt compelled to respond as this is an on going battle for me. I work at home full time and my two cats are always on my desk, keyboard, trying to shred paper....it's a thing. :) Anyway thought I would share what I do to keep them entertained. My feral especially loves this. I pop it up on the TV and voila....no more instant cat messages to my boss or spilled coffee. Hope you find this as me. Can't wait to keep checking out this site. Good luck all you "work at homers" LOL

Oh...forgot, this video works well too. They love it, and I timed it....I got an hour of no cats on my keyboard. I think it's the bird sounds....anyway, hope this one works for you as well. God bless youtube! LOL