Cat Bloody Eye

Spookymoo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all, I was just wondering if anyone knows what this could be? Molly (the kitty) has alot of pigmentation from old eye injuries (we don't know for sure what happened, she lived rough all her life untll the animal shelter picked her up and then she came to us for fostering) and today we noticed she was walking into things alot and on closer examination she has blood in her eye with the most pigmentation.

We're taking her to the vets tomorrow as of course it happens on a Sunday when it's closed, but I'm worried what it could be so any advice or ideas would be greatly appreciated. I'm keeping her inside and keeping a close eye on her, she's eating and playing so in herself seems fine.

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
we noticed she was walking into things alot
Can you contain her, with her things, in a smaller area so she doesn't get banged up while she's playing, over-stressed from not being able to see to get around, or do further injury to that eye? Try giving her some cat music too - there's RelaxMy Cat, and spotify has a collection of harp music called Cat in My Arms.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Spookymoo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She's being kept in, luckily she's quite a chilled out kitty and doesn't mind being inside. She is acting the same as always, but that eye looks very concerning :(

Spookymoo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She's off to the vets in an hour! The shelter vets said to wait another day to see if it changes so we are taking her to the one we use for our own animals and paying. It may be something of nothing but we want it checked (no anger at the shelter vet, they are crazy busy especially after the weekend and they have to do the urgent cases first and make decisions based on most in need).

Spookymoo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So a quick update in case anyone in the future has a similar issue. She was at the vets for over two hours, and we are awaiting blood test results which we will have soonish. They believe the cause is high blood pressure, and there is actually blood in the other eye also but behind it so we can't see it. There is no damage to the lens itself and other than the previous pigmentation no evidence of trauma.

At the moment they are searching for a possible cause and to see how everything else is working, it's the first time I have come across blood in the eye related to high blood pressure but we're always learning. She will need to start meds but until they know what else is going on nothing has been prescribed just to be safe. I will update when more is known.