Cat Bleeding After Giving Birth 2 Days Ago

LeaElena

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone, my cat has given birth 2 days ago and everything seemed fine, the kittens look alright, but just now I've noticed she bleed a little bit. It wasn't a lot, she cleaned herself and she didn't seem sick, just tired, but I guess that is normal after having 4 kittens.
Also, today she hasn't eaten a lot, just in the morning, and I was wondering if I should panic, or if it is something normal.
I just want to say that this is the first time she was pregnant and the first time I have to take care of a pregnant cat, so I'm worrying over every little thing. Thank you for your attention, I'm looking forward to your replies.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Welcome!!
Can you provide your new mama with canned kitten food? It will give her some extra nutrients, and you could even add in some Kitten Milk Replacer.

Do you have a vet you could speak with? Bleeding two days later seems a bit odd. Did the placenta come out?

This article is not intended to scare you, it is to give you some information about what to look for where a vet needs to be called.
Post-birth Complications In Cats

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would take mom to the vet right away. Better safe then sorry. (That not really eating thing worries me.) I’m a worry wart when it comes to my cat’s health though! If she worsens in any way please take her to vet right away!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Cats bleed post delivery for about a week after giving birth while the uterus contracts, cleans itself out, and shrinks back to normal. As long as there is not a lot of bright red blood then she is recuperating normally. It should go from red to pink to brown and stop.

She will be tired. She may not be hungry right away if she ate all the placentas.

See that she gets a dish or two a day of KMR to drink. Buy powdered and mix it. This will give her the calcium and other nutrients she needs for nursing as well as perk her up.

L LeaElena

Last edited: