Cat Bitting Me While I Sleep And Always Wants Cuddles

sonya651

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 12 yr old cat has been excessively cuddly and needy all of a sudden, when giving him food he will start eating but when i walk away he will follow me and start meowing as if for food but when i return to his bowl he will start eating again. Almost feels like he needs me there but when im not home he is eating normally. Last check up at vet was 4 months for a post dental surgery check up, priv he had 2 dental surgeries, one to remove 2 teeth that had frowls and last one was another dental cleaning. His medical and dental check up was all clear great bood work etc. And both times he recovered nicely so i dont know why so needy. Also at night when sleeping he keeps trying to wake me up and will stop oncei hold him in my arms almost like spooning may sound cute but then if i move he starts to bite my arm or even my forehead if i ignore him long enough Any advice please im so confused very did not seem to think anything of it given his clean bill of health

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. Is that your boy in your profile pic?

Has anything changed in your home that might have brought on his clingy behaviour?

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a male that likes to cuddle at night, he also gives the love bites if i quit petting before he is ready to sleep. Luckily my guy only goes 10 or 15 min. so its not too bad. I dont really know how to stop this either. Except my guy hates hugs, so if i hug him up he leaves the bed.
If its a major problem, and you cannot figure out anything in the home that would have caused him to be extra needy i might go ahead and set up a vet visit. Just another good check and talk to the vet about the problem. Maybe he is stressing or anxious about something, in cat world we might not understand why, but they do. I know some cats do well with a round of anti anxiety medications?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sonya651

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. Is that your boy in your profile pic?

Has anything changed in your home that might have brought on his clingy behaviour?
Hi there yes that’s him in the pic, nothing has changed in the house as far as I can tell. His food and litter the same brand as always my hours at work are longer so I do get home later than usual only thing I can think off buttham again last time my schedule changed it wasn’t not a issue . The love bites actually hurt

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He's a cutie pie. :catlove: It could be your longer working hours. Or it could be just that he's getting older. Or possibly something medical going on. So if he hasn't been to the vet lately, a checkup might be a good idea.

As for the love bites, say "owwwww" loudly and in a high pitch tone so that he knows he's hurting you. Here's a link with more info: How To Deal With Cat "love Bites"?