Cat biting back of other cats neck

mxw

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have two 3yr old male cats, both were previously owned and returned for "biting their owners." Neither one has ever bit me once though.

Anyway, my first cat is a siamese mix, and a lot more interactive than my other cat. Whenever I show attention to my 2nd cat, the siamese will go up to him after I set him down and bite the back of his neck. He is not doing hard, he stands on top of the other cat and kneads his back with both paws while holding the skin on his neck with his mouth.

The only thing that I can think is that he is jealous, but if he is then why does he do it so gently.

lukin28

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think they do it to show some sort of dominance. My cat does that too my other cat when Im petting the other one too. Aldo when the other cat gets sick of it he does the same thing back. Thats where the mom cats get the kittens when they want to control them

touro1979

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My parents have two siamese, one male and one female. The male, will bite the female when you pet her or even talk to her. He never breaks the skin but he doest look like he is playing. I think its just jeolousy.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For one are they both neutered? Unneutered males have more of a need for dominance over each other then neutered males. The fact that they aren't hurting each other when doing this leads me to think they are neutered. If not I would think this sort of dominance behavior would be much more agressive.

As long as they aren't breaking skin and bleeding all over the place then it is just fine. Cats whether male or female will remind each other who is the alpha cat every now and then.

purrpaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yup, Prego does that to Polly, especially when he thinks she's meowing too much :-)

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know they are both males, but that sounds like mating behavior. Maybe you have a gay cat.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This was originally posted over a month ago. I wonder if the OP ever figured out the problem? I wonder if they will come back? I am guessing not, but that's too bad. Maybe they forgot they posted here
I am sure I have done that in the past too.