Cat Bites unprovoked - Why and how to stop?

Picky_Piki

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm going to make this bullet pointed. If you'd like more information. Ask away.

• This is my first cat.
• I watched like hours of jackson galaxy before getting him
• I have read about cats.
• I have taken him to the vet for this specific reason this past month.
• The vet said he's fine.
• The vet said it may be territorial and getting a second cat could be either positive or really really negative and so wait until we are in a house.
• We live in a 1 bedroom apartment. He only has access to the living room, kitchen and dining room. Bathroom and Bedroom are always closed. He does not sleep with us.
• He has every toy possible (literally, he owns half the living room). We recently removed all catnip toys to see if that would improve his behavior.
• He is almost bipolar in behaviour. He has 2 great weeks and 2 really bad weeks.
• We could play with him more but we do play with him everyday.
• We clean his litter box morning and night
• His water is in the kitchen, his food in the living room, and his litter box is in the kitchen but because it's a 700 sq ft apartment. It's basically the living room.
• He has a cat tree and the window open to him.
• He knows sit, shake, high five, stand, and meow on command. (we practice this almost daily)
• We save boxes and cut holes in the them everytime we get a new box and hide things and have a general over-all enrichment type thing going on.
• He was neutered at 12 weeks.

• Here's what he just did to me | We're sitting down and I'm typing an email on my laptop. I see him out of the corner of my eye and I can tell he's got a look on his face. That "ears sideways - I'm not playing - I'm not hunting - I'm annoyed" look. Then he stiff leg walks over to me and chomps my arm hard - coils back and is like ready to charge me again and then turns and lays down.

• He will hide and pounce at our feet and nibble our ankles to get us to play. But these are different. These are like "You're at my level, you're in my territory and I don't like you and I'm going to tell you that." He's made me cry one of the times because of how badly he bit my arm and made it bleed.

• My husband doesn't like having this jackyl and hyde cat and doesn't like that he attacks me. The cat prefers my husband. I think I try to force cuddles and pets and so he tolerates me. But he always chooses to lay by us or touching us. So I know he likes us. and when we go to bed at night he meows these pitful lonely meows until we come out and rub his ears and neck.

• These bites are not over-stimulation from petting bites. I have not touched him, looked at him. He was not in the middle of zoomie. He was not riled up. He just bites me.

Help.... please.

• Oh and the vet said he's only a smidge overweight. we are having trouble getting his weight down. We feed him Nulo and feed him a measuring cup every morning and evening at exactly the same time and what the bag says for a 14lb cat.
However. It's a good solid 16 lbs.

Attachments

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
What a handsome boy Nulo is. So sorry that he is behaving so aggressively and unpredictably. There are a number of factors that could contribute to aggressive behaviors, one of them is physical ailments. A thorough check up is always the first action to take in order to rule out physical issues causing this kind of behavior. I know of a lady whose cat turned aggressive and she couldn't understand why. It turned out he was in pain and had some bad teeth that was really bothering him. So leave no stone unturned trying to find the root cause for Nulo's behavior. I also have seen aggressive behavior from young cats. This may be linked to a high prey/play drive or energy level. I suspect that is why he is going after your feet. Play interaction with you is crucial (feather wands, laser or other items where you cannot get scratched up is advised). Play should not be just a cat batting around toys you gave him. Play with your cat for at least an hour a day to get that energy level down and also bond with him. Do you think your cat is giving you love bites? I had a male cat that gave very hard "love bites". I had to show him that that was wrong. I let out an exaggerated cry and said, "Ouch, that hurt!" He would then stop and sometimes he lick where he bit me. I could see by his facial expression and behavior that he knew he did something wrong. When kittens play (and they cam be very rough with each other--they let out a loud cry and the other kitten realize they were too rough and they stop.) Male cats can be rough with play. On the streets, Tom cats fight for territority and to chase off the competition so they can mate with females. I take care of ferals and before these ferals were tnred, so many very vicious fights broke out. Being un neutered is another reason for aggression, although that is not the case with Nulo. I can also tell you that I have seen aggression in cats with food addiction. You mentioned Nulo is a little overweight, but does he eat alot or constantly annoy you for more food. My friend had a cat that could be so sweet one minute, but when he didn't get fed at the time he wanted--he acted out by knocking things off counters, attacking the garbage bags, and turning on her. These overweight or food obsessed cats could become aggressive when they don't get fed when they want to get fed or fed what they want to eat. Very grumpy kitties. Finally, is Nolo an anxious cat or does he seem depressed. You need to evaluate what is emotionally going on with your cat. What triggers your cat to behave aggressively? Hopefully, you will begin recognizing those triggers. This would help with understanding your kitty better. Do not get another cat right now see for sure if Nulo is showing territorial behavior. If his behavior is territorial, the worse thing to do is bring a new cat on the scene. Even Jackson Galaxy says that a truly territorial cat is best as an only cat.

These are a few reasons why your cat being acting out like he has. Here are some articles on feline behavioral issues, I hope you find helpful. I wish you the best of luck. 🙂

What to Do When Your Cat Has a Behavior Problem
https://www.petcarerx.com/article/territorial-aggression-in-cats/5320

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Picky_Piki

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What a handsome boy Nulo is. So sorry that he is behaving so aggressively and unpredictably. There are a number of factors that could contribute to aggressive behaviors, one of them is physical ailments. A thorough check up is always the first action to take in order to rule out physical issues causing this kind of behavior. I know of a lady whose cat turned aggressive and she couldn't understand why. It turned out he was in pain and had some bad teeth that was really bothering him. So leave no stone unturned trying to find the root cause for Nulo's behavior. I also have seen aggressive behavior from young cats. This may be linked to a high prey/play drive or energy level. I suspect that is why he is going after your feet. Play interaction with you is crucial (feather wands, laser or other items where you cannot get scratched up is advised). Play should not be just a cat batting around toys you gave him. Play with your cat for at least an hour a day to get that energy level down and also bond with him. Do you think your cat is giving you love bites? I had a male cat that gave very hard "love bites". I had to show him that that was wrong. I let out an exaggerated cry and said, "Ouch, that hurt!" He would then stop and sometimes he lick where he bit me. I could see by his facial expression and behavior that he knew he did something wrong. When kittens play (and they cam be very rough with each other--they let out a loud cry and the other kitten realize they were too rough and they stop.) Male cats can be rough with play. On the streets, Tom cats fight for territority and to chase off the competition so they can mate with females. I take care of ferals and before these ferals were tnred, so many very vicious fights broke out. Being un neutered is another reason for aggression, although that is not the case with Nulo. I can also tell you that I have seen aggression in cats with food addiction. You mentioned Nulo is a little overweight, but does he eat alot or constantly annoy you for more food. My friend had a cat that could be so sweet one minute, but when he didn't get fed at the time he wanted--he acted out by knocking things off counters, attacking the garbage bags, and turning on her. These overweight or food obsessed cats could become aggressive when they don't get fed when they want to get fed or fed what they want to eat. Very grumpy kitties. Finally, is Nolo an anxious cat or does he seem depressed. You need to evaluate what is emotionally going on with your cat. What triggers your cat to behave aggressively? Hopefully, you will begin recognizing those triggers. This would help with understanding your kitty better. Do not get another cat right now see for sure if Nulo is showing territorial behavior. If his behavior is territorial, the worse thing to do is bring a new cat on the scene. Even Jackson Galaxy says that a truly territorial cat is best as an only cat.

These are a few reasons why your cat being acting out like he has. Here are some articles on feline behavioral issues, I hope you find helpful. I wish you the best of luck. 🙂

What to Do When Your Cat Has a Behavior Problem
https://www.petcarerx.com/article/territorial-aggression-in-cats/5320

Oh I'm sorry I was unclear. His name is Picard and he eats Nulo brand food.
He doesn't free feed. He eats only at given times and although he does beg for food about an hour before. It's never agressive. It's more like paws and little meows asking for food.
We play with him with this wire toy with cardboard scraps on the end. It's a really popular toy sold in store. It's his favorite. We also play with all kinds of toys, fish, stringed toys and in cardboard boxes with holes.
He is nuetered.
These aren't love bites because he's given me love bites.
These aren't come play with me bites because I know what that is as well.
I've already taken him to the vet for the aggression and possible pain reason and he got a clean bill of health.

The ones that stand out to me are young male cats being high prey and energy. Maybe he just needs more play.

But the way he bites me is not like a cat stalking prey. It's like he's annoyed i'm around. I think I have a video. Sometimes he'll go as far as arching his back and chasing me and not in a playful, but in a "I'm bigger than you and I'm mad at you and I'm going to get you."

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am not sure what exactly is going on, but maybe you can read through this TCS article and see if any of the various situations described 'ring a bell'?
Why Do Cats Attack? – TheCatSite Articles

If nothing in this article helps, consider that you forcing cuddles and pets might be part of the problem. It may be best if you back off these efforts for now, and let him come to you when he wants. If you are the 'main' trainer of the tricks that he does, he may resent you for that. He may do well with the tricks, but that doesn't mean he actually likes them.

Cats do not, as a general rule, attack without provocation. If all else fails, start logging what went on shortly before an attack, and what is going on in his/your surrounding area - and what is happening shortly thereafter. There is a reason...

Picky_Piki

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am not sure what exactly is going on, but maybe you can read through this TCS article and see if any of the various situations described 'ring a bell'?
Why Do Cats Attack? – TheCatSite Articles

If nothing in this article helps, consider that you forcing cuddles and pets might be part of the problem. It may be best if you back off these efforts for now, and let him come to you when he wants. If you are the 'main' trainer of the tricks that he does, he may resent you for that. He may do well with the tricks, but that doesn't mean he actually likes them.

Cats do not, as a general rule, attack without provocation. If all else fails, start logging what went on shortly before an attack, and what is going on in his/your surrounding area - and what is happening shortly thereafter. There is a reason...

You're so right. I know there has to be a reason. That's why I'm coming here.

Another reason I'm coming here is because everything I've read online about biting does NOT relate to what he is doing. He doesn't bite me when I'm petting him. Well I mean he can but I generally listen to his body language and walk away when I see a twitch or he gives me the warning bite. I know I said I cuddle him but I'm not like 4 year old forcing myself on him. I just pick him up, give him a little snuggle and set him down. My husband however, picks him up, carries him around on his shoulder, snuggles his face and the cat begs for it.
I have gotten better about listening to cat behaviour though. As I was used to just petting a dog. So the beginning was probably more intense which is why he probably favors my husband.

That aside. This afternoon. He was literally laying on me. So I know he likes me. He just has these moments.

Like one time he was trying to play attack with my toes under a blanket and I wasn't pay attention reading a book and so I took my hand off the book shoo'd him with my hand. That was the worst attack he had done to me. He saw my hand wave to shoo him and he coiled back with that ears back face and then lunged and bit my arm horribly and then ran away.

That one I know why he attacked me. I waved my hand in his face. But today. I was just sitting on the bed and he was exploring the bedroom which he doesn't typically get to do and he hopped on the bed. Sat staring at me writing an email for a few minutes and then did the coiled back and ran up and bit my arm. Maybe it was a "I want attention" bite?

Idk. My friend came over and she was petting him just fine and petting him with a single finger and he was all about it. so I decided to try and he tried instantly grabbing my hand with his paws and then jumped up with his head high and ears back and stiff legged tried starting to come for me again but my friend was able to redirect him.

Whenallhellbreakslose

Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry, about that. The ears pulled back and tail flicking is an indicator of agitation or stress. Try to find out what is triggering Picard. Do not pet him unless he is open to it. Some cats get upset when you try to pet them and that is not what they want. Each cat is different. I have had cats that were lap cats and could be held and I had other cats that absolutely hated it. Take notice of what your cat is okay with and what he is not okay with. Picard may not like that kind of attention, or he can only take it in small doses.

Another question I have, is regarding the socialization of Picard as kitten. His behavior might stem from kittenhood where he was not properly socialized and he gets anxious around you and certain behaviors that he is not comfortable or sure of (petting or holding in arms). Another factor may be abuse. Did Picard come from an abusive household before you adopted him? Another friend of mine had a cat that easily got stressed out and would lash out at her, even when all she was doing was petting the kitty. She knew this cat came from a household that didn't want the cat in the first place, but when she investigated further--she found out he was abused.😕 Cats also misdirect aggression when they are stressed. I have seen cats be angry with one cat, but take it out on another cat that was just next to them. So aggression misdirection is not uncommon.
https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-pet/cat-behavior-problems-aggression-redirected

Those are a few more reasons of why Picard is displaying aggressive behavior. Hope that helps.

Last edited:

Picky_Piki

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry, about that. The ears pulled back and tail flicking is an indicator of agitation or stress. Try to find out what is triggering Picard. Do not pet him unless he is open to it. Some cats get upset when you try to pet them and that is not what they want. Each cat is different. I have had cats that were lap cats and could be held and I had other cats that absolutely hated it. Take notice of what your cat is okay with and what he is not okay with. Picard may not like that kind of attention, or he can only take it in small doses.

Another question I have, is regarding the socialization of Picard as kitten. His behavior might stem from kittenhood where he was not properly socialized and he gets anxious around you and certain behaviors that he is not comfortable or sure of (petting or holding in arms). Another factor may be abuse. Did Picard come from an abusive household before you adopted him? Another friend of mine had a cat that easily got stressed out and would lash out at her, even when all she was doing was petting the kitty. She knew this cat came from a household that didn't want the cat in the first place, but when she investigated further--she found out he was abused.😕

Those are a few more reasons of why Picard is displaying aggressive behavior. Hope that helps.
Thank you!

He came from a home of 10 children, a bunch of cats and dogs and his siblings were given away at like 7 weeks and I believe they were weaned at 4/6 weeks of age. I don't know when they were separated from their mom.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Any chance you use various different lotions/perfumes/shampoos/etc. products that might prompt such attacks? There are cats who take on the aggression stance with changes/differences like that? I hate to even mention it but hormonal changes in a person have been known to set a cat off.

The bedroom incident might have been connected to the fact he is not normally allowed in there and was on 'high alert' because of that.

Good on you to notice ways that might provoke attacks! Some cats are bothered by certain motions that mean nothing to us, up to and including how we approach them with our hands.

We'll keep going with ideas until we can't come up with anything else!!!

Whenallhellbreakslose

Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you!

He came from a home of 10 children, a bunch of cats and dogs and his siblings were given away at like 7 weeks and I believe they were weaned at 4/6 weeks of age. I don't know when they were separated from their mom.
That could have been a stressful household with a bunch of kids running around, not to mention the other animals. I am thinking maybe there was too much sensory overload and it turned Picard into a cat that can be easily stressed out. Cats have different personalities and for a shy or nervous kitty--it may have been too much.

I hope you find the root cause of his behavior. This may be it or it may not be. Be patient with Picard and try to met him on his terms. As mentioned by another member what seems benign to us could be stressful to him. It will take time to work this out. Whether you find what ever caused him to behave like this, understanding him and know his stress triggers is very important.

Thank you for taking the time to really try to understand why Picard lashes out. So many kitties are mislabeled "mean kitty" and dumped by their owners. Picard is a very lucky kitty to have you as his pet parent. 🙂

Picky_Piki

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you both for you help!.....

There may be something to that perfume thing and the hormonal thing! I mean it would explain why he has good weeks and then a bad week.... I do wonder if there isn't something to that.

Yes, he's a very sweet cat besides these fluke moments.

suzeanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
For the story in your first post -- maybe fingers tapping on the keyboard set off his prey instinct, related to how cats are happy to play with fingers/hands if people condition them to. I remember once being at a partner's house and doing some kind of repetitive or twirling motion to my hair and his cat attacked my hand after a minute (if that long). Also only somewhat related, but if you can feed wet food that would be great for the weight loss and general health -- it's more nutritious, hydrating, and filling, and it doesn't have to be an expensive brand to be good (e.g., fancy feast). It's especially important for boy cats as they can be prone to blockages. Best of luck with Picard! He looks like a lovely boy. Thank you for caring so much about him. :petcat:

Picky_Piki

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
For the story in your first post -- maybe fingers tapping on the keyboard set off his prey instinct, related to how cats are happy to play with fingers/hands if people condition them to. I remember once being at a partner's house and doing some kind of repetitive or twirling motion to my hair and his cat attacked my hand after a minute (if that long). Also only somewhat related, but if you can feed wet food that would be great for the weight loss and general health -- it's more nutritious, hydrating, and filling, and it doesn't have to be an expensive brand to be good (e.g., fancy feast). It's especially important for boy cats as they can be prone to blockages. Best of luck with Picard! He looks like a lovely boy. Thank you for caring so much about him. :petcat:
OH!!! That makes so much sense! I would not be surprised if that was it!! Good catch. And Thank you for the reminder about the wet food! I completely forgot wet food.

kakers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
To add to the motions of the fingers on the keyboard, in addition to the movement the sounds could set him off as well. One of ours gets VERY attuned to certain noises and pounces. The sound of the keys being pressed could be a part of it for yours. If you wanted to test it out you could always mimick typing without actually pushing the keys (so there's no sound, but the same motion.) If it is related to the sound he could associate that sound with prey (like scurrying mice) or maybe just be overstimulated by the repetitive sound.