Cat Bites My Clothing?

littlecatt

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Finn has done this ever since I got him at 7 months (he's 3 now) and I've always wondered about it!

When we're snuggling a lot of times if I'm wearing thin, loose clothing he'll bite it and pull really hard. It's a little obnoxious since he'll sometimes pinch my skin with his teeth when he's doing it, but no matter how often I discourage him he'll just go right back to it. I'd always thought it was a form of aggressive wool sucking but I've never heard of another cat actually biting and pulling the fabric. He only ever does it on my clothing that I'm wearing and it's always while he's purring, and he'll typically put his paws on the fabric as well and often start kneading.

Does it seem like wool sucking? If so it's sweet but I wish he was more gentle, he has pointy teeth!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it just a variation of suckling. He is happy, kneading and purring and just feels the need for some fabric to do it on. You can certainly discourage him by putting him down every time he does it or you can try having a piece of fuzzy fabric like fleece, fake fur or wool that you can give him in place of your clothing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

littlecatt

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That would make sense, he does give love bites too and has always been very "mouthy" - loves to lick, nibble, chomp onto my sleeve in protest if I try to move him...

I hate to ruin his good time, I'll look into getting a thin blanket that's like the material he enjoys pulling on so he can use that instead!