Cat bites aggressively yet meekly

swifti777

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is ~6 mo old and I've had him for ~3 mo. Usually, he is either really nice and cute or running around playing. But recently, he has this new mood where he will have his ears back, trembling slightly, and bite me really hard before dodging back but holding his ground. It's totally unprovoked and I'm confused what it means and how to train him to stop. Any help?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Rarely is a reaction from a cat totally unprovoked. It may not be provoked by you, but it is being provoked by something. Since this behavior is more recent, it could be anything 'new' going on either within or outside your home. The 'typical' things to look for are animals roaming around outside your house that he can sense that causes fear in him. And, he re-directs that fear into aggression on you. Other things are new items/smells in (or, even outside) the home that are bothering him. Also, if you have a new job or have been going to unusual places away from home, you could be bringing new smells inside. Changes in lotions, soaps, perfumes, etc. can also cause a similar reaction, even taking a new medication can cause your scent to change. Any construction in the area, or other noises you might not find particularly bothersome, but he does?

I would do some investigative work when this happens to see if you can find some possible sources. In the meantime, you can always pick him up (if you can) and put him in another room for a couple of minutes just to let him settle down. Or, if he likes to play, you can try distracting him by getting out a toy he likes and playing with him. These are temporary solutions while you look for the actual cause of the behavior change.

Why Do Cats Attack? – TheCatSite Articles
Re-directed Aggression In Cats – TheCatSite Articles

Last edited:

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat is ~6 mo old and I've had him for ~3 mo. Usually, he is either really nice and cute or running around playing. But recently, he has this new mood where he will have his ears back, trembling slightly, and bite me really hard before dodging back but holding his ground. It's totally unprovoked and I'm confused what it means and how to train him to stop. Any help?
With a cat that age, I just wonder if he is hungry at times! They go through a lot of growth spurts in their first few years and while that is happening, they often get a bit more hungry than you would expect -- even if it seems you just fed him, or feed him a lot already! This happened to my cat when she was young.

At least he gives clear signals to you when he is 'about to pounce' and bite, and you can try changing the scene beforehand by maybe getting up and doing something else when you notice him about to pounce. It might change the plans he had of attacking you. If he is hungry and biting you to get attention for that, feed him (or set out a bit of food) before he bites, not after (or you'll train him to bite you in order to get food!).

Sandra Kay

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
With a cat that age, I just wonder if he is hungry at times! They go through a lot of growth spurts in their first few years and while that is happening, they often get a bit more hungry than you would expect -- even if it seems you just fed him, or feed him a lot already! This happened to my cat when she was young.

At least he gives clear signals to you when he is 'about to pounce' and bite, and you can try changing the scene beforehand by maybe getting up and doing something else when you notice him about to pounce. It might change the plans he had of attacking you. If he is hungry and biting you to get attention for that, feed him (or set out a bit of food) before he bites, not after (or you'll train him to bite you in order to get food!).
I have a 8 month old he doesn't like his belly touched , he will attack and bite , I have taught him the word "love love" and he immediately stops every time, pet him using that word then remind him of the word when he attacks.